• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    ffs

can one of you tell me how I can buy Ripple and how I can store my Ripple safely at my house

Milan.
    Almost sure you're trolling Milan but i'll bite.

Buy a Ledge Nano S, take delivery of said wallet, buy ripple on exchange, go to exchange wallet, transfer to hardware wallet, Store wallet in fireproof safe / under your matress on the wifes side of the bed / cuddle it to sleep at night / chain it to your wrist, ???????, Profit.

EZ PZ.

Comment

Mining Update

Update for those interested in my Mining Project:

My electricity bill since the miner came into effect cost me £900. I've generated enough ETH in that time to cover the costs of that, based on todays prices. The equipment is worth approximately 2/3rds of its original value and I have begun selling off the graphics cards. I am now at the point where I should've broken even on everything, without selling the rig but will be relying on the price of ETH to rebound back to Feb levels in order to achieve this.

However, I have saved a significant amount on my heating bill compared to the same time period last year (approximately £250), which is due to the heat put out by the rig.

Overall, I am glad I experimented and gave it a go. Long term, I do not see this as a viable option and believe that really and truly, you're better of investing in actual coins rather than mining them. It has been an interesting little project and given me a good reason to learn stuff about graphics cards I never knew before. I do think the market will rebound enough for me to get my money back and maybe, maybe, have made a small profit; but this is now speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
        Almost sure you're trolling Milan but i'll bite. .
        Sucker....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          Scoots,

I want to buy some Ripple, where can I buy them ?

Ok the price is now .44USD, I'll buy about $5000 worth, a nice round number ~10,000pieces as a speculative bet.

When I get them can I get like a hash code and print it, I am paranoid that my evidence of my holding for example on a usb stops working, what do I do then

Thanks

Milan.
          You can buy Ripple in tons of places now... loads. And you can store it locally if you want using the ripple wallet.

My first ripple purchase was 750,000 tokens last year sometime
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            In case you've forgotten, Bitcoin is doing exactly what it came into existence for. You think you're holding your own capital when holding the pound in your pocket and then the central bank devaluates it be half on a whim. That can never happen with Bitcoin.

I thought it was supposed to be a currency? No, failed at that. Store of value? Nope, 20k to 6k doesn't look like a store of value to me (needs to be less volatile). It is however, a tool for sheer speculation without itself having any intrinsic value. Few transactions are used for anything other than speculating. It's also prone to manipulation, too many exchanges exist all making money from the gamblers(note that an exchange has recently been sold I believe to a gaming org). It's also ended up in a situation where a large proportion of wealth is in the hands of a few and controlled by a few, just like that horrible real world .

Blockchain is interesting but crypto, at least as it currently stands is only one implementation of it which could easily disappear if the fad ends.
            Now that it's hit the headlines then failed, badly, largely with retail investor losses, it's in my opinion not going to find the future easy going in regards to a strong bull market.
            Nobody really owns crypto either. It's more of a an entitlement while the blockchain exists - much like a ticket from the bookies. There's entries in the database that says x wallet is entitled to y BTC.
            Last edited by SuperZ; 30 October 2018, 12:43.

Comment

Most people in the street now know the word BitCoin.

If you ask them what it is, they will say something like "I don't really know what it is, but it is used by criminals. Oh and my aunt / cousin / brother bought some this year, but I think they lost all their money on it..."

That's the reality of crypto as it stands.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

If you ask them what it is, they will say something like "I don't really know what it is, but it is used by criminals. Oh and my aunt / cousin / brother bought some this year, but I think they lost all their money on it..."

That is true in the eys of the layperson.
                Strangely...one could also say the same about the S&P500:
                Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                  I thought it was supposed to be a currency? No, failed at that. Store of value? Nope, 20k to 6k doesn't look like a store of value to me (needs to be less volatile).
                  So much in one sentence. First you select the all time high of the coin and look down. To use your measuring stick, why not consider 10 months beforehand. $6k is not bad price for a $800 investment! I'd call that an excellent store of value. Less volatile? In the last four months the pound and the dollar have been more volatile than Bitcoin. Think about that.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Sucker....
                    feck's sake you bunch of muppets

even if I am trolling, try to see the bigger picture, if you answer the question it can be valuable to others too

from what I can see so far, buying a crypto token is like being an anorak at the Maplins shop and buying diodes and all
                    that hobbyist stuff

for the layman it is impossible to buy cryto tokens what a mess, find somewhere to buy it, everywhere looks dodgy as hell,
                    and then figure how to store it for fecks sake

so can any of you crypto experts in one post give a guidance for laymen where to buy a crypto, eg in my case I would like to
                    get some Ripple, and how to store the Ripple at my house so that the thing won't get stolen from the crypto exchange

the more I see what a feckup this whole crypto thing is the more I see what an opportunity it is, because even if the herd wanted to buy some crypto they wouldn't be able to figure out how to anyway

just wait until somebody solves that, and the cryto's become either mainstream or more popular (as in my opinion do your own research etc it looks like XRP could become interesting) and voila the prices have potential to rise

thanks,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

yeah and on top of that they aint got a cat in hells chance of buying one because you've got to be a black belt anorak to figure out how to buy them

fer fecks sake this is like the early days of Java programming

it took longer to set up your environment than do the actual program

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X