• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Was part of the reason I emptied my XRP for Stellar... and also I prefer decentralised exchanges, XRP is really centralised when you think about it. Controlled by a single group.

ETC coinbase listing still doing the rumour mill... but when.

Bought a wod of bitshares around 8c some months ago, now almost $1 - insane. Rumour is this coin will continue mooning.
    Is bitshares on bittrex? Can't see it
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Binance now not accepting new registrations. Apparently they had 250,000 applicants try to register yesterday alone.

So one by one the massive worldwide appetite for crypto is bringing the exchanges to their knees. Bad business turning away customers. I suppose it's highlighting the amateurs, possibly run by some kid on a laptop in his bedsit above the kebab shop in Birmingham or Swindon.

Now if only we had data on what crypto those trying to register were all going to pile into when the noddy exchanges get their act together and start accepting all that new business.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        Binance now not accepting new registrations. Apparently they had 250,000 applicants try to register yesterday alone.

So one by one the massive worldwide appetite for crypto is bringing the exchanges to their knees. Bad business turning away customers. I suppose it's highlighting the amateurs, possibly run by some kid on a laptop in his bedsit above the kebab shop in Birmingham or Swindon.

Now if only we had data on what crypto those trying to register were all going to pile into when the noddy exchanges get their act together and start accepting all that new business.
        People who are new will be trying to get into it based on what they see on the news.
        The only person I've spoken to recently who said they were considering crypto was looking at LTC.
        If I was new to it all and starting out then what would I be looking at...probably Ripple. Massive increase in the last few weeks and now number 2 in terms of market cap. Rumours (even if they're false) of being listed on coinbase.
        Makes a compelling argument for someone who wants to make a quick buck
        Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
          People who are new will be trying to get into it based on what they see on the news.
          The only person I've spoken to recently who said they were considering crypto was looking at LTC.
          If I was new to it all and starting out then what would I be looking at...probably Ripple. Massive increase in the last few weeks and now number 2 in terms of market cap. Rumours (even if they're false) of being listed on coinbase.
          Makes a compelling argument for someone who wants to make a quick buck
          Yeah depends on the subject expertise of the person, I'd guess Bitcoin and Ripple would be picked up just from market cap alone.

Comment

It's on poloniex. Bitshares is probably the most technologically advanced blockchain that's in current use. The tx/s figures dwawf anything else.

I've been thinking of just using bitshares (or any other decentralised exchange). There's some evidence that the stated liquidity doesn't exist on at least some of them. Until they're properly regulated I'd much rather use a decentralised platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              We need simpler access for Joe Public around the world, to keep the momentum going, or no new mad gains.

I've never had faith in the underlying tech of the current favourites, so holding any of them longer term (months rather than days) seems a bigger gamble when all the current profits have been through recent pumping of one form or another.

What's likely to change anytime soon unless simpler better ways of getting involved come online, to suck in all the money that is being frustrated by the current poor exchanges and over complex routes?

Seems a day trading approach is the only sensible one for now. Traditionally that's been the most risky.

I think this year will be the year of decentralised exchanges like Bitshares, which is rather easy to set up, no ID required to acquire (just like taking cash).
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

something I'm struggling to understand at the moment...
                When BTC goes down it tends to take the other alts with it and they also dip.
                When BTC goes up (as it is right now) all the alts take a dip. Am I reading this correctly?
                What am I missing? is it the $ value of the alts is staying the same but the relative value to BTC is dropping?

Scooter...cup and handle. yes you're right. but there seem to be plenty of cases where the shapes can have the same effect when they are relative to the current trend line (i.e. tilt your screen to make the trend line horizontal)
                Just me trying to make sense of the graphs
                Don't worry about the dollar value of alts.. unless it is an alt paired with USD. People, like a heard seem to always take money out of alts when they think bitcoin is a better hold, usually day traders and the like. I don't bother myself. I'm only interested in accumulating coins. Tracking the dollar value via BTC is too complicated for me. Right now some alts are cheap to buy with dollars, if you have them.

Lovin altspocket - good recommendation! Just clicking that refresh button makes me squirm.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Bittrex removed Bitshares from the exchange a few months ago because it was a conflict of interest, i.e. an exchange on a exchange. Or rather Bittrex was threatened by them. Everyone thought the price would crash when in fact it has gone in the opposite direction.

Compared to Bittrex trading on the Bitshare platform is almost without fees.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Lovin altspocket - good recommendation! Just clicking that refresh button makes me squirm.
                    I spend far too much time doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                      It's on poloniex. Bitshares is probably the most technologically advanced blockchain that's in current use. The tx/s figures dwawf anything else.

I've been thinking of just using bitshares (or any other decentralised exchange). There's some evidence that the stated liquidity doesn't exist on at least some of them. Until they're properly regulated I'd much rather use a decentralised platform.
                      trying to open on poloniex and bitshares...waiting for conf email on the former

Comment

Working...
                      X