• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who would have thought that a virtual currency would ended up being exactly that?

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      ok there could be an opportunity here

if one were to think the price will continue falling

then if one had availability a facility where one could sell BTC which one does not already own, and buy BTC at a later time, and if the price continued to fall, and if the price which one bought the BTC at would be lower than the price one sold the BTC that one didn't already own at, then there could be an opportunity to profit from the fall

question, is there any broker who allows selling of BTC which one does not already own ?

this is also known as short selling

Milan.
      My Spread betting broker (GKFX) includes several cryptos you can short just as you would FX/commodities/indexes etc. Spreads are pretty horrible but they have quite a few cryptos.
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Spread betting on cryptos with the volatility they have.

If you want to gamble, consider which you think could be worth more in a few years in terms of tins of beans and loaves of bread, £100 or £100 worth of bitcoin at current purchase price.

Especially if the omnishambles of the UK government causes a general election and Corbyn into power. recurring to infinity.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Node.js bitcoin stealer on the prowl ...

Die you unsecure client side source code scum.

Check your repos... Crypto-coin-stealing code sneaks into fairly popular NPM lib (2m downloads per week) • The Register

Hope this is just one step on the way to reducing the fashion for reliance on crappy third party client side javascript frameworks and libraries.

Edit: Apparently Node.js is server side. That javascript crap gets everywhere.
          Last edited by Hobosapien; 27 November 2018, 12:44.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

BTC bull and bear markets

If it drops below $3000 (c. 85% decline), I might be tempted with a small wager. I use the word wager, because I'd treat it as a pure gamble.

It could shoot to the moon again, in the next couple of years or so, and take out the previous ATH of $19,666. Or this time could be different and it languishes in the doldrums for years and years. Or it could even become worthless. Fact is, no-one knows.

One thing I learned to my cost, a few years ago, is not to listen to anyone, including so-called experts, who make market predictions.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
              BTC bull and bear markets

If it drops below $3000 (c. 85% decline), I might be tempted with a small wager. I use the word wager, because I'd treat it as a pure gamble.

It could shoot to the moon again, in the next couple of years or so, and take out the previous ATH of $19,666. Or this time could be different and it languishes in the doldrums for years and years. Or it could even become worthless. Fact is, no-one knows.

One thing I learned to my cost, a few years ago, is not to listen to anyone, including so-called experts, who make market predictions.
              Scoots thinks he does.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                and who knows if mattfx would have bought his mining rig without this thread and so on.
                I had friends doing a similar thing at the same time I was doing it; they were a far bigger influence. Probably wouldn't have done it if they didn't do it also.

Comment

Sheep get slaughtered

How much did you “mine”?

Comment

Scooty come back, here is a hug

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Sheep get slaughtered

How much did you “mine”?
                      nowt, - a dwarf thew an axe at him and didn't miss

Comment

Working...