• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last month or two they recently demonstrated plagiarism detection..

Wiki is great of course, but there's issues when folks are just copying and pasting from published material.

Lunyr Dev Update— Plagiarism Detection, Random Peer Review Selection, Gas Reimbursement Status, and more!

Lunyr could well be WIKI Mk II.

Listenning to the BBC 4 article not along ago on world service (Grr being cancelled due to beeb budget cuts - another story), scientists accessing articles cost stupid amounts of money. I heard the arguments for and against, I'm more leaning towards knowledge should be free to all rather than profitably for the few.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Last month or two they recently demonstrated plagiarism detection..

Wiki is great of course, but there's issues when folks are just copying and pasting from published material.

Lunyr Dev Update— Plagiarism Detection, Random Peer Review Selection, Gas Reimbursement Status, and more!

Lunyr could well be WIKI Mk II.

Listenning to the BBC 4 article not along ago on world service (Grr being cancelled due to beeb budget cuts - another story), scientists accessing articles cost stupid amounts of money. I heard the arguments for and against, I'm more leaning towards knowledge should be free to all rather than profitably for the few.
      It cost stupid only if you are using "official" way of accessing articles.
      Almost all of them can be found for free.
      Even in google scholar you will find 70% of papers.
      To be fair that is not an issue at all.

Comment

I'm a IEEE member - when papers are submitted they of course have to me peer reviewed and that takes time. This is where the cost comes to play. I pay a bonnie penny every year to maintain access various elements of the IEEE library.

Nevertheless, I believe a paper should be available to all at some common source before that process begins. It's not always easy for publishers to get their ideas noticed. Now if you have plagiarism detection as part of that process you remove a good chuck of duties from the peer review process. Win.

Crumbs, PhD students could begin to publish their work on Lunyr from the off. What a kick start to your research that would be.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I guess the forward looking value of Lunyr is based upon

assuming it's a success as big as Wikipedia

then

Advertising

Paid for Content

Milan.

Comment

I'm a IEEE member - when papers are submitted they of course have to me peer reviewed and that takes time. This is where the cost comes to play. I pay a bonnie penny every year to maintain access various elements of the IEEE library.

Nevertheless, I believe a paper should be available to all at some common source before that process begins. It's not always easy for publishers to get their ideas noticed. Now if you have plagiarism detection as part of that process you remove a good chuck of duties from the peer review process. Win.

Crumbs, PhD students could begin to publish their work on Lunyr from the off. What a kick start to your research that would be.
            I am not sure that plagiarism is an issue. At least the one you can detect. Peer review should detect not only blatant copy-paste but also “very similar” work. And it is not easy to pass professional peer review in good quality journal. Who will peer review in Lunyr? Random person? With 0 knowledge in a research topic? Who will pay this peer review cost in Lunyr? It is free in IEEE.

P.S.
            All universities have plagiarism services.
            There are many other options for that too.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
              I am not sure that plagiarism is an issue..
              It's a huge issue - the act itself perhaps not in high school exams, but when a % individuals climb into the echelons of society with someone else's ideas and the rest of us buying in against those that took the long way round.. that makes my blood boil. It is the Lance Armstrong of cycling.

April 2018

Doctors Urge Elite Academy to Expel a Member Over Charges of Plagiarism

April 2018

Fake dissertation scandal taints politicians

Plagiarism: A silent epidemic in scientific writing – Reasons, recognition and remedies

Comment

Who will peer review in Lunyr?
                I don't think that's the point of Lunyr. More about knowledge sharing.

Comment

It's a huge issue - the act itself perhaps not in high school exams, but when a % individuals climb into the echelons of society with someone else's ideas and the rest of us buying in against those that took the long way round.. that makes my blood boil. It is the Lance Armstrong of cycling.

April 2018

Doctors Urge Elite Academy to Expel a Member Over Charges of Plagiarism

April 2018

Fake dissertation scandal taints politicians

Plagiarism: A silent epidemic in scientific writing – Reasons, recognition and remedies
                  This is not an issue, not because it doesn't exist.
                  It is not an issue comparing with other issues like for a example faking results.

And I repeat again, there many options to check plagiarism, grammarly, turnitin and many many other.

Comment

I don't think that's the point of Lunyr. More about knowledge sharing.
                    What is the point of Lunyr? I can share knowledge on Github, Blog, here.
                    For me it look like another idea "let's apply blockchain to anything".

Comment

What is the point of Lunyr?
                      To allow me to make more money than I've ever dreamed of.

Comment

Working...
                      X