• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    I don't think you'd pay more tax if each individual trade is taxed anyway.

if I make start with £1000, make 10 trades @ 10% profit on each one, then cash it back to GBP I'm made a profit of £1593.74. This is the exact same as the sum of the profit on each individual trade.

This is of course assuming a static rate of GBP vs whatever coin you're trading. It would only be beneficial to HMRC if the rate at the time of the individual trades was more than the rate at the time you've cashed in back to GBP.

Just seems way more complicated for a negligible, if any increase in tax revenue.
    What about if you're up 10% on the first one, down 90% on the next, up 50% on the next, down 10% on the next etc. You're making the assumption you will always (or mostly) make a profit. Whilst this is true currently, if the market collapses you could be left with a massive tax bill and a huge loss?
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      What about if you're up 10% on the first one, down 90% on the next, up 50% on the next, down 10% on the next etc. You're making the assumption you will always (or mostly) make a profit. Whilst this is true currently, if the market collapses you could be left with a massive tax bill and a huge loss?
      You can offset losses, so this wouldn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Yesterday I mentioned ETC is going to explode. So far its taken a 10% hit with the South Korea news, don't worry. It is still going to explode.

Let me tell what else is about to explode. Decred (DCR). There's a rumour, but I'm not going to add to it just yet until it becomes a little more solid. But if true it could be another Stellar like Bull run.
        Decred's order book only has about 10BTC worth of buy orders from what I can tell....that could easily lead to a massive increase very easily
        Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
          Decred's order book only has about 10BTC worth of buy orders from what I can tell....that could easily lead to a massive increase very easily
          Good point. I bought in 0.5BTC of DCR just now and sucked up some of that Buy side.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Good point. I bought in 0.5BTC of DCR just now and sucked up some of that Buy side.
            my 0.05 isnt going to make that much of a dent. This looks to me like whena coin is first listed....massive spike before it comes down quickly
            Might be worth putting in a sell at the higher end of the order book in case a whale lands and then buying back afterwards

have put a sell in at 0.03
            Last edited by VirtualMonkey; 11 January 2018, 14:50.
            Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

what's happened to Ripple?
              Just jumped from .00012 to .00015 in under an hour
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                what's happened to Ripple?
                Just jumped from .00012 to .00015 in under an hour
                and more!

Comment

and more!
                  good. My Ripple was down 20% and the biggest loser of all my alts.
                  It's just turned into profit
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

stellar is well up too

Comment

my 0.05 isnt going to make that much of a dent. This looks to me like whena coin is first listed....massive spike before it comes down quickly
                      Might be worth putting in a sell at the higher end of the order book in case a whale lands and then buying back afterwards

have put a sell in at 0.03
                      Correction: I also meant 0.05BTC!

Comment

Working...
                      X