• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    So I know Scoot has got tons in but how much the rest of you got?

Also profit so far?

And out of interest, profit withdrawn in spondoolies?
    I bought a whopping £62.39, which is down due to fees but might be up, dunno

I'm just learning the basics at the moment

Comment

I bought into Bitcoin in transactions of between £100 to £200 over the last couple of months. I spent about £800 in total and their value is now circa £1,250.

I wanted to buy into to some other alts but I don't have the time to do the research. Zencash sounds attractive but I haven't used Bittrex before and I want to do my own research before risking some capital.

Comment

Originally posted by ProInDisguise View Post
        Zencash sounds attractive but I haven't used Bittrex before and I want to do my own research before risking some capital.
        This is where you IT skills might play me down.

You can set up a secure node and receive an income every month.

Secure node calculator - have got enough to set up a number of nodes but lack the know how. Can I employ one of you?

https://zen.lebre.net
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Secure node calculator - have got enough to set up a number of nodes but lack the know how. Can I employ one of you?

Scoot, I may be able to help. I would have to follow Rolf's guide but I know enough Linux to be dangerous.. I have looked into setting up a farm of these myself.

Comment

I was using a spreadhseet to track all this, but updating it was becoming a bit laborious. Just started using https://altpocket.io. works really well, API integration with a lot of exchanges and coinbase which I've been using to buy coin with FIAT.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
              What are poeoples thoughts on ICOs?
              Theory: Use Bitcoin To Buy ICO Coin/Token - ICO Happens, Token Price Rockets - Convert Token Back To Bitcoin

ICOs are arguably the riskiest but potentially most lucrative of all Bitcoin investments. I'm also looking at them in depth at the moment, one in particular.

There seem to be two types:

1) Genuine 'companies/organisations' with a 'product or idea' looking for investment
              2) Scam/HYIP schemes with a limited lifespan - days or months

Both types carry extreme risk (i.e. lose every penny), both can return huge reward (e.g. 3000% increase a few weeks after ICO).

No regulation of course, no FSA, no guarantees. Anyone who can produce a convincing web site in a bedroom/Vietnam apartment/Nigerian Internet cafe can launch one, associated alt-coin optional for type 2 !

Type 1 Example Problem - Investment 'Frozen':
              "The Tezos initial coin offering was one of the largest of the summer of 2017, with $230 million US raised (now worth $400).
              Trading of the tokens has been suspended indefinitely. All money raised by the ICO has been locked away and kept by the Tezo foundation. Investors didn’t even get coins. Instead, they got a PROMISE of a coin to be distributed possibly before the end of 2017"

Type 2 Example Problem - Investment 'Misuse':
              "<coin snip> - They've bent us over the table, no lube, not even a courtesy spit and f***ed us raw dog"
              Last edited by SunnyInHades; 27 November 2017, 20:30.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                Scoot, I may be able to help. I would have to follow Rolf's guide but I know enough Linux to be dangerous.. I have looked into setting up a farm of these myself.
                Fixed price or retainer?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
                  ICOs are arguably the riskiest but potentially most lucrative of all Bitcoin investments. I'm also looking at them in depth at the moment, one in particular.
                  So I put $5k in the Tezos ICO or 1 BTC's worth at the time. The ICO seemed everything that one should invest in with a promising future. Now the founders are suing each other. So yeah be careful. Saying that, Tezos futures are trading 1.5 times the value of bitcoin.

Also put another BTC into BOS ICO - and well, time will time.

The most cash I've made comes from investing projects, understanding them and the people behind them. People (team) and growth potential...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Was also considering this. It’s a one - liner shell script on a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 install.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ZenSys/comm...with_one_line/

Did have a look at the code, nothing immediately alarming about it. Although I’d be taking a proper low level review before locking up tokens in something a helpful Redditor put together for your convenience!

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

I'll keep loading up with about £1k/month distributed as above and some more from the LTD as well to build some decent positions.
                      This reads a lot like my approach. Started off with £3k taking positions in ETH,BTC and LTC then forced myself to a limit of £250 per week to pick up other coins. Thought being it’s enough cash to know its missing but not enough to really sting if it disappeared completely.

Put in £8k to date and sitting somewhere about £16k in 5 months which I’m pleased with.

Couple flutters with ICOs - Storj, Status and Santiment (woop)

Rest sitting in various amounts of - Ripple, Neo, Augur, Omisego, BAT.

And latterly Stellar, Zencash and Dash (cheers Scoot).

Constant internal debate of whether to cash some out or let it ride some more...

Comment

Working...
                      X