• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent's behaviour: normal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent's behaviour: normal?

Hi guys, I'm new in here and quite new in contracting - only 2 behind my belt. Now I have spotted something that looks weird to me, maybe you can give me some ideas on what's going on.

Just before getting a contract, both of my agents were superfriendly and supercaring, to the point they started annoy me. Calling 2 - 3 times a day every day (mind you I live outside UK, so its international calls to mobiles - must cost good), asking if I did not change my mind, if I did not get any other offers etc etc. Then all paperwork is done, contract starts and they dissapear, maybe 1 - 2 calls / emails after start to find out if I found the office and not running away.

Now the interesting thing: after contract ends, they just dissapear. I email them a couple of times saying my contract is going to its end, so perfect oportunity to find a new one since we already did some work together etc, they say sure will come back - and never do. This makes me think, am I doing something terribly wrong here, I'm not english so maybe I do some terrible things without even knowing that? Or is this pretty standard and to be expected? Sorry for such long post, opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Hi mrv,

Yes, it is normal. Agent's will rarely find you another contract after the last contract ends.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by mrv View Post
      Hi guys, I'm new in here and quite new in contracting - only 2 behind my belt. Now I have spotted something that looks weird to me, maybe you can give me some ideas on what's going on.

Just before getting a contract, both of my agents were superfriendly and supercaring, to the point they started annoy me. Calling 2 - 3 times a day every day (mind you I live outside UK, so its international calls to mobiles - must cost good), asking if I did not change my mind, if I did not get any other offers etc etc. Then all paperwork is done, contract starts and they dissapear, maybe 1 - 2 calls / emails after start to find out if I found the office and not running away.

Now the interesting thing: after contract ends, they just dissapear. I email them a couple of times saying my contract is going to its end, so perfect oportunity to find a new one since we already did some work together etc, they say sure will come back - and never do. This makes me think, am I doing something terribly wrong here, I'm not english so maybe I do some terrible things without even knowing that? Or is this pretty standard and to be expected? Sorry for such long post, opinions appreciated.

Thanks
      Think of it as a serial adulterer.

They start by calling you, paying you compliments, being interested in what you have to say, flowers, chocolates, romance, sweet moonlight and then once you give in, once you give them what they want and they get you into bed they're off. They they never call , never phone you back, you miss those special moment. It's heartbreaking. You feel used, cheap, dirty and you are alone once again...

Welcome to the world of contracting.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        They they never call , never phone you back, you miss those special moment. It's heartbreaking. You feel used, cheap, dirty and you are alone once again...
        But then you count your money and you don't feel quite as bad.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          But then you count your money and you don't feel quite as bad.

Usually in cash, on the bedside table.

Bing!

Comment

normal. sometimes though you can find agents who will stick with you. mostly that's because they're good at what they do.

Comment

Working...
            X