• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap iPhing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap iPhing

I could do with doing some web testing on iOS and Safari. I was vaguely hoping I'd be able to buy a second hand iPad 1 for £20 off Ebay, but they seem to go for more like £200. Don't Fanbois only buy the latest shiny stuff?

But there are iPod Touches for that sort of money, which as I understand it is basically an iPhone without the phone part. But if I buy an iPod Touch 1, does that mean I get a 5 year old version of Safari? That's probably not going to be representative. Or do Apple keep their older devices up to date so I'd get the latest greatest HTML5 compatible browser on a 5 year old device?

Any other suggestions?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Not sure but iPod touch 1 will be basically an iPhone 3G not sure iOS 6 will run on it, be slow if it did.

iOS 7 beta should be available today!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I could do with doing some web testing on iOS and Safari. I was vaguely hoping I'd be able to buy a second hand iPad 1 for £20 off Ebay, but they seem to go for more like £200. Don't Fanbois only buy the latest shiny stuff?

But there are iPod Touches for that sort of money, which as I understand it is basically an iPhone without the phone part. But if I buy an iPod Touch 1, does that mean I get a 5 year old version of Safari? That's probably not going to be representative. Or do Apple keep their older devices up to date so I'd get the latest greatest HTML5 compatible browser on a 5 year old device?

Any other suggestions?
      apple only upgrade up to a point. The ipad 1 is eol and did not get ios6.

Personally you are looking at it the wrong way. As the devices hold their value look at somewhere like avforums and save some cash by buying a second hand one for £300 say and then sell it on when you've finished with it.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There's an iPhone simulator in Xcode...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Personally you are looking at it the wrong way. As the devices hold their value look at somewhere like avforums and save some cash by buying a second hand one for £300 say and then sell it on when you've finished with it.
          That's a good point, though it does rely on me getting around to selling it again. Which I never will.

Comment

That's a good point, though it does rely on me getting around to selling it again. Which I never will.
            I always mocked the iPad but bought one to do testing last year and use it every day now. Worth £300 IMO.

Comment

iOS 6 works on my iPhone 3GS (from 2009) except for various features that don't, because they require newer hardware (like Siri - there's a dedicated DSP on the SoaC processor die to make that work). I don't expect iOS 7 to work on it.

Comment

I have an iP4 which I love and will probably keep going for years yet.

It pains me to know that apple will drop it before it gives up the ghost.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  apple only upgrade up to a point. The ipad 1 is eol and did not get ios6.
                  Does that mean the iPad 1 doesn't get the latest Safari? Presumably Safari like all other browsers gets updated all the time; I can run the latest Chrome/Firefox etc. on my 6 year old Dell PC, but do Apple stop all updates when something becomes EOL?

Comment

Does that mean the iPad 1 doesn't get the latest Safari? Presumably Safari like all other browsers gets updated all the time; I can run the latest Chrome/Firefox etc. on my 6 year old Dell PC, but do Apple stop all updates when something becomes EOL?
                    On iOS safari is only upgraded with os upgrades. Once those stop on that device safari will stop at that version
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X