• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chairs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chairs

Now we've moved, I'm considering get a proper office chair since my £20 twirly chair is battered and, now I'm in my 30s, I reckon a chair I spend 8 hours in a day is rather important.

I found this article which unsurprisingly recommends the Aeron, but more surprisingly highly praises a far cheaper chair - the Markus - from Ikea (of all places). Looking more closely Ikea seem to do a couple of chairs at a mid-highish price-point.

What do you people have, those of you who have invested beyond a regular model from Staples anyway? Anyone got either of those Ikea chairs for instance? It's not that I am totally averse to spending £500 if it's really worth the extra but neither do I wish to spend that much if something decent is available much more cheaply. I don't have back problems so this is more a "get a decent chair" than needing a super-ergonomic monster.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Posturite

Even get a spotty oik to set it up for you. Has saved my bad back many a time.

Best money I've spent on office equipment. Apart from Thrustmaster yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Aeron's can be had for less than £500.

aeron | eBay

A lot are bought by startups that then do what most startups end up doing (dying if you didn't guess).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've got one of these at home:
        Designer Mesh Office Chair Black - Buy the Mesh Office Chairs and Designer Office Chairs from Milan Direct

Simple and elegant and very comfortable.
        The mesh really helps if you like Commando WFH
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Aeron's can be had for less than £500.

aeron | eBay

A lot are bought by startups that then do what most startups end up doing (dying if you didn't guess).
          Possibly they go bust because they spend all the money on chairs...

Also, I find spending 2X as much on a 2nd hand chair a bit off, especially since I presumably don't then get warranty and so on.
          Last edited by d000hg; 1 May 2013, 20:29.

Comment

I have two of these Mirra Chair - Herman Miller - Back2, very good chairs. I can sit on this for 4 hours and it feels like I just sat down.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
              Posturite

Even get a spotty oik to set it up for you. Has saved my bad back many a time.

Best money I've spent on office equipment. Apart from Thrustmaster yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals.
              Wasn't someone looking for adjustable height desks recently?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Wasn't someone looking for adjustable height desks recently?
                Mitch

Cause he's so big and tall (don't you know)
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
                  I have two of these Mirra Chair - Herman Miller - Back2, very good chairs. I can sit on this for 4 hours and it feels like I just sat down.
                  Another vote for the Mirra, I was going for an Aeron and found the Mirra suited me better.

My company bought from a local used office furniture warehouse for a fraction of the price new in John Lewis.

Comment

if you can afford it, Herman Miller is the way forward. I picked up a pretty good chair the other day for just £140. Took 10 mins to put it together one unboxed (seriously, just 10mins, was so simple). It was 'reduced from £280 in staples, so might be back up to that price now - if it ever was to begin with). Link here: Ergo Mesh Executive Chair - Staples

It adjusts in every way that I want it to, and is extremely comfy. Has a generous recline too. For the price it's well worth it; if it lasts the year I'll be happy with it - which I'm sure it will.

Comment

Working...
                    X