• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bios data/time not set

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bios data/time not set

Since the clocks went back I am getting BIOS date/time not set. Maybe the timing is pure coincidence and I need to replace the CMOS battery but is there a way of storing/printing existing settings first?

All the articles on the net seem to date from 2003 or earlier, pretty sure DOS print screen won't work with a USB printer or a normally formatted USB memory stick. Looked at the ASUS manual and it says it doesn't support normal NTFS USB drives, what it does support it doesn't say.

Why is this so difficult? In 98 days there were simple utilities that you could use to access CMOS from inside windows. Anyone know anything like that now? Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Do the WMIC commands work from DOS prompt? Try this:

wmic bios get /format:list

Dunno if you can dick about with the time tho - I use Windows as little as possible....

Comment

Cheers for commments. I tried WMIC and it provides some basic data on the BIOS version etc, not full setup details. I can set time/date normally from Windows but that doesn't stop startup halting with a message.

No major problem at mo, just don't want to start one day and find it's lost all the setup and I don't know what it should be. Looks like pen & paper, but whenever I read my notes I can never understand a word. Or camera.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 1 November 2012, 16:22.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Or camera.
        That.

Comment

There's some quite useful stuff built into Windows apart from wmic as above which is quite powerful.

systeminfo, also run from command line. Basic stuff.
          from start/run:
          msinfo32 - proper windows utility with masses of indexed info about your PC. Software as well as hardware, running tasks etc, better than usual routes.
          dxdiag - another proper diagnostic tool for display drivers mouse etc
          Last edited by xoggoth; 1 November 2012, 21:33.
          bloggoth

Comment

Looking at all the loads of stuff in msinfo32. My ATA bridge has been molested by Jimmy Saville.
            bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              There's some quite useful stuff built into Windows apart from wmic as above which is quite powerful.

systeminfo, also run from command line. Basic stuff.
              from start/run:
              msinfo32 - proper windows utility with masses of indexed info about your PC. Software as well as hardware, running tasks etc, better than usual routes.
              dxdiag - another proper diagnostic tool for display drivers mouse etc
              PC-Wizard is another tool I have found useful in the past.

linky
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Dunno z, but eventually I managed to get all the setting onto punched cards, works ok if you oil the cogwheels first and make sure to wind the handle at the back of the PC fast enough.

That PC Wizard is good and actually allows printout. Cheers!
                bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                X