• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop Help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop Help

Folks, got a fairly new laptop and it was fine yesterday.

Today when I boot up it just comes up with a black screen and a cursor.

If I go into "safemode" it boots up fine - is there anyway to find out whats happening easily?

The laptop is a Samsung running Windows 7.

The only thing I recently installed was winzip
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Fisrt off I would disable any startup programs using msconfig, go to start button and in the search box type msconfig and enter. Go to the startup tab and take a tick off any programs that aren't microsoft related. Reboot and see if there is any difference. Failing that reboot the laptop and press the F8 button until you get the selective startup mode screen and choose safe mode with networking. Once in to that download and install an anti-malware program such as Spybot, download the latest definitions and do a system scan.

Sometimes new laptops come with bloatware that seriously screws the laptop/pc, deselecting them via msconfig will find out if that is the case.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 23 April 2012, 11:59.

Comment

aka "Factory installs" that are full of crap and trial software.

GE

Comment

Working...
      X