• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XP Virtual PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP Virtual PC

I am looking for XP Pro (X86) virtual PC image to download. I'm sure I found one a while ago somewhere on the MS site but I can't find it now.

Anybody have any ideas where I might download one from ? Haven't found one in the millions of results google throws up. Never was any good at search terms.

Cheers.

You want to download and install Virtual PC first, then "XP Mode". The website will want to validate your Windows 7 installation and it will only work with Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.

Download Windows XP Mode
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      You want to download and install Virtual PC first, then "XP Mode". The website will want to validate your Windows 7 installation and it will only work with Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.

Download Windows XP Mode
      Oh no I don't

The host is XP so that is ruled out.

I have VPC and numerous Virtual PCS but for what I am doing I need a clean XP build and I would rather not download the OS etc from MSDN and create one from scratch. Hence what I really want is to download a configured XP virtual disk and just add it to my VPC console.

Comment

This any good?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Nick,

Thanks, hopefully that will do. Though I'm not sure I like this bit of text:-

"Expires: This image will shutdown and become completely unusable on August 09, 2011."

Gives me a week though.

Cheers.

Comment

I've used those images in the past and they still worked (to some degree) after the expiry date. I think you got 1 hour of use before it started automatically shutting down. You could re-start immediately for another session.

So depends how long you need to use the virtual machine for in one session, if you don't want to keep downloading the updated images every few months.

They may have changed the behaviour as it is a year or two since I last downloaded an image.

The alternative is to search out a moody version of XP Corporate edition, as that doesn't require activation or a licence key.
            Last edited by PAH; 28 July 2011, 15:21.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
            X