• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Homeplug - Networks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeplug - Networks

Any good?

Fecking wifi is a pain in the arse especially upstairs when the kids want to play on the XBox and use tinterweb.

I isnt practical to install ethernet cabling all around the gaff either. So, been reading up of these homeplugs such as these.

They have a through plug which is handy and means you dont lose a wall socket when using them as well as being piss easy to install \ set up etc.

All the lappys and pc's have at least 300mbps dual band wifi capability with 10\100 cards also fitted. I think the xbox is 54mbps wifi, not sure about its ethernet speed but would assume its at least 100 mbps.

But, upstairs they dont get anywhere near those speeds in wifi mode.

A few reports suggest the homeplugs get around 70 mbps which is a tad disappointing for something sold as 'upto 200 mbps' but not unusual I guess. Also seen a comment that they may not work so well between upstairs \ downstairs split.

Our gaff has a split, dual mains ring, Im not sure how this would impact homeplugs either.

500 mbps homeplugs are starting to appear but since not of my equipment supports that standard, they seem a bit inappropriate.

I've got a linksys WAG160Nv2 router which is a bit pants so Im tempted to chuck it all away and start afresh.

So, anyone using them in a similar set up? Pleased with the performance etc? Would like to make reasonable suggestions?

Ta.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

If your internet is slow, setting up cabled connections won't make any difference, so assuming its not and its your wifi signal thats poor first try changing the channel, its amazing how many people leave this as auto or 11, I find 6 works better in my area

Also check out netgear wifi range extender, Netgear Universal WiFi Range Extender: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

it extends the wirless and also allows cable connection then bridges back to your router.

and back to your origional question a freind of mine who lives in a new house (so it will have seperate ring mains for different areas of the house) he uses the plug adapters and he says he has never had a problem with it

Comment

I have four 200meg Solwise ones at home - one was in the shed which has a separate ring main and fusebox - no issues.

Only problem I've had is one or more of them losing connectivity and having to re-sync them all every few months. No probs with upstairs/downstairs split.

Comment

I use a set of Devolo ones, some of the older 85MB ones. They are good, consistent speed and quicker than my wireless.

Use one on the PS3 for online gaming and works well whereas when it was set to wireless, i'd occasionally get lag. Also use one upstairs on a server through a surge protector 8 gang - which they say not to do, but again, works fine.
        Last edited by Durbs; 8 April 2011, 12:00.

Comment

Thanks all for the comments.

Tinterweb speed isnt great at around 5meg. It used to be 6meg consistently but let's not go there, it's too long a story!

I've done the channels thing and found the best one for speed and stability. Downstairs isnt really an issue, its the upstairs where wifi is poorest.

I did consider a range extender but understood while they extended the range, wouldnt improve the speed?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Great things, I have a few dotted around my house. Only issues are:

- they get hot, try to keep them somewhere they're not going to get covered. It's not that they become dangerously hot, they usually just fry themselves with too long at high temperatures.
            - if you have a neighbour who is a CB enthusiast then expect some grief
            - if you go over different power circuits, expect about a 1/3 drop in speed and 1/10-1/5 gain in latency per circuit
            - the older your electric wiring, the poorer the connection
            - if you have two boxes right next to each other, you'll still not get the full advertised rate
            - stick to one brand and speed. The manufacturers like to pretent they're interchangeable. They're not. Some of the same speed ones will connect across manufacturers but it'll give flakey results, especially latency.

Comment

Yeah, have some Netgear HD ones and they ran very hot when plugged in. So not something I'd be happy leaving plugged in and switched on all the time. So now I tend to just run a long ethernet cable around the house, which is easy to hide as I have carpets and also provides gigabit speed.

Homeplugs are much better than wireless though, at least they still work when I'm microwaving popcorn to watch a movie being streamed over the network!

Can also set up encryption as there's a possibility of neighbours picking up the data if they have a compatible device. Not sure how feasible it is. Must be more secure than wireless however used.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Interesting, I have 3 of these and they don't run hot at all. I leave them plugged in and on all the time.

I have these (now discontinued - I bought them in 2007)
                Home Plug / PowerLine PL-85PE 85Mbps Ethernet Adapter

I'd buy Solwise again without hesitation. Marvellous things!

Comment

Run hot? Just felt my Netgear one by my PC, and it's luke warm at most. And that's been on permanently for several years.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Run hot? Just felt my Netgear one by my PC, and it's luke warm at most. And that's been on permanently for several years.

Maybe they've improved them, mine are at least 3 or 4 years old now.

I'm guessing it was/is a side effect of having to plug them into the mains and have them deal with the voltage without room for a proper transformer, so heat is generated if not dealt with adequately.

Or maybe mine have always been faulty and prone to bursting into flames if I did leave them on all the time. Not going to risk it just to find out!
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X