• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Virtualisation Software?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    at $189.00 it almost is free.

I have been using the free version of VMWare (VMWare Player) so far.
    Is there much of a difference between that and work station?
    Aye, at that price I'm tempted.

Not an official guide, but What is the difference between Workstation, Player and Server?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I always thought zVM was the best virtualisation software

Though you do need a Mainframe to run it.....
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        at $189.00 it almost is free.

I have been using the free version of VMWare (VMWare Player) so far.
        Is there much of a difference between that and work station?
        I've had a play with VMware Player and the Unity function is well sexy - you can put client apps onto the host desktop, access the client Start menu from the host etc.

I'm going to go for the Workstation version.

Comment

+1 for VirtualBox, even though it has been brought into the Evil Empire.

I use it pretty much every day, all day long for my windows development env. and its rock solid. Currently running version 4.

I tried VMWare's free offerings back in the day which were good, but there product set kept changing so much, I never knew which version to use.

Gave up using MS Virtual PC on day 1.

D.

Comment

There's currently an offer on VMware Workstation 7:

VMware Workstation 7.1 at 20% Off - Limited Time Offer: 115.00 GBP, 151.00 USD, 122,00 Euro

Could this mean a new version is around the corner?

Comment

Working...
            X