• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CCTV recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCTV recommendations

2 cameras, outdoor use.

Nothing too fancy required, although wireless would be nice

Recommendations gladly received
    Coffee's for closers

When I was having problem with MR PIKEY SCUM I got a CCTV and cabled DVDR from Security Consultancy and Technical Ltd. Chinese made and instructions not great but they work well. CCTV works at night. You can set the DVDR to record at certain times of the day or for a fixed period when it detects movement so you could leave it running while you go on holiday.

Also wireless camera from Pakatak. Again good but beware that with wireless you get interference and useable range may be a lot less than the quoted "up to" ranges. Higher frequency (4.2 MHz instead of 2.4 I think) may be better.

Really Garden law or neighbours from hell may be better places to ask. Or ask Wilmslow obviously.

Garden Law advice on fences, trees and boundaries
    Neighbours From Hell in Britain
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've got one from eBay for about £60. It detects movement and sends images to your email address or uploads to ftp. Hasn't arrived yet (China) though .. in other places their retail at above £100

The same as the 2nd one here: Henrys Electronics Ltd Wifi IP CCTV Cameras

Comment

A few questions I got via PM (The sender can own up should (s)he so wish)

- discrete or blatantly obvious?
        Not bothered - although I don't want a sodding huge camera on the side of the house
        - night-time illumination? Or infra-red?
        Infra-red
        - see who's at the front door (small area) or who is in the back garden (large area)
        decking area, which goes the full width of the house and side of house only
        - off-site recording of images? (In case they nick the PC that has the video on it...)
        not required
        - motion-sensor?
        Would be nice but not something i need to consider
        - indoor or outdoor?
        outdoor
        - budget?
        <£400
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          2 cameras, outdoor use.

Nothing too fancy required, although wireless would be nice

Recommendations gladly received
          You know you can be breaking the law by fitting CCTV?

CCTV, Privacy and The Law - Problem Neighbours (UK)

If you catch a crim on it you will be a hooman rights infringer and subject to a long jail sentence.

Comment

When I was building the house, I went for a system from Swann Security sold via Maplins. Its not a top end system by any means, but it comes with 4 cameras which dont look too intrusive, shed loads of cable and a 160GB Hard drive recorder for £299.00. It has the ability to stop / start on motion, but I run mine 24 hours and it will record well over a weeks worth of data, possibly much longer. Quality is good during the daytime, but night-time is poor unless used with motion detecting security flood lights like I do. I guess it may be OK at night if you have some ambient street lighting, but living in the 'sticks' with no street lights, it's need the extra lighting. You can easily back files up to a PC via USB too.

All in all, Good value for money and a piece of piss to install.

Comment

How about one of these cool gadgets, Techinfo - you don't need two cameras then, just get one of your kids to drive it around via the internet thingy and hey presto.

You may need to attach an umbrella when it rains, you don't want it short-circuiting and attacking the cats.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
              X