• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Second hand HDD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second hand HDD

I have an old Dell laptop onto which I want to install Win7.

However, it could do with a bigger HDD.

Don't really want to spend too much so was thinking of getting a second hand HDD from eBay.

Is it worth doing this or is it a gamble too far?

The laptop is a spare which isn't used for anything critical.

Right now there's a 250GB laptop drive going for £18.00. I'd give it a go and chuck it away it it dosn't work.

Comment

Only do it if you don't value the data you plan to store on it at all.

Laptop drives are particularly unreliable, do yourself a favour and buy brand new, prices are cheap unless you go high end (and those are also cheap if you look back 5-10 years).

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
        Right now there's a 250GB laptop drive going for £18.00. I'd give it a go and chuck it away it it dosn't work.
        A quick look at Dabs and there's pleanty of new 250GB drives for £30-£35. If that doesn't work, you can send it back and get a refund. Not sure why you'd bother with a second hand one.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Unfortunately, the drives quoted are SATA ones which as, rightly mentioned, are a lot of drive for the money but I need an IDE drive.

Comment

Scan.co.uk: Leading supplier of Hard Drives - Int.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I say go for it!
              Who knows what interesting data you might be able to scrape from the platters!

Examples:

MP3z
              Pr0n
              Moviez
              Unlikely but not impossible, work related stuff!

We could also run a sweepstake on when it will fail!

A fiver says sub 12 months!

Comment

Working...
              X