• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cloud Computing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloud Computing

Anyone had any hands on experience with deploying cloud solutions?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Personally, no, but you might find some useful info here
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      Personally, no, but you might find some useful info here
      I've looked at the VMWare site, very much pushing their own products, unsurprisingly, I was hoping for some real world experiences that might reflect this sort of stuff

Comment

Do you mean an application that runs on "the cloud" or a cloud hosting environment?

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
          Do you mean an application that runs on "the cloud" or a cloud hosting environment?
          Deploying a business application and supporting data that used to be hosted in the co. data center to a cloud environment.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Deploying a business application and supporting data that used to be hosted in the co. data center to a cloud environment.
            I think its pretty much the same as securing a hosting solution that is accessed over the internet, however since its using the 'cloud' buzzword, the client co doesn't necessarily get their own dedicated kit, and may actually be sharing the same switches, servers, firewalls etc as other customers. There I can see you have a new security challenge and hence this new cert.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              I think its pretty much the same as securing a hosting solution that is accessed over the internet, however since its using the 'cloud' buzzword, the client co doesn't necessarily get their own dedicated kit, and may actually be sharing the same switches, servers, firewalls etc as other customers. There I can see you have a new security challenge and hence this new cert.
              and to answer your question... No I haven't.. sorry

Comment

Eucalyptus ?

Know a bit about it.

Use amazon quite a bit.

Comment

The M$ Azure thingy is on my list of things to look into, but I've never done much about it. From the brief look I had, I think it may be of use to me; I'll have to look more in depth one day.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

It's commercially too expensive for anyone who has got enough scale, ie doing some real work - a lot of "cloud" stuff can be run on VPS/leased server.

Comment

Working...
                    X