• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sat Nav recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sat Nav recommendations

My way old TomTom One got nicked from the car a little while ago. I've not been been pace with Sat Nav developments over the past few years so would appreciate some guidance on what's good these days. We don't use it much and only need UK maps, and ideally I want one that is cheap and efficient.

I've looked on eBay and there are some great looking ones from Hong Kong which are only £55 or so. Anyone tried these? Or can you recommend another one?

My only experience is with a TomTom 750 XL. I use this daily in the UK. I have subscribed to the Live service, and now that I have learned to trust it, it is saving me quite a lot of time.

Not cheap though, but they do smaller versions.
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

As posted in another thread. I got one of these last week. Works brilliantly, amazing price.

The guy bundled in UK and Oz power adapters and maps.

I've come from a TomTom which I got fed up with. This one runs iGo.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
        As posted in another thread. I got one of these last week. Works brilliantly, amazing price.

The guy bundled in UK and Oz power adapters and maps.

I've come from a TomTom which I got fed up with. This one runs iGo.
        That looks interesting, might have a go. Found it on eBay UK also for £64.99 from the same seller.

Is it quick when calculating routes? Are there any problems you've had with it?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          That looks interesting, might have a go. Found it on eBay UK also for £64.99 from the same seller.

I used a Navman for a while but got fed up with all the silly diversions it sent me on so binned that.

After swapping to a Garmin I'm more than happy with its route mapping - would definitely recommend mine but it's a car&bike satnav (Garmin Zumo).

Comment

Its very quick and much quicker at updating your position on the go, one of the frustrations with my TomTom.

No problems so far.

Comment

I have an old Garmin, but on a recent trip driving through the US it would be no good (only europe maps). Instead I made use of my Nokia phone with Nokia maps. All of the map downloads and updates are free and there is no subscription fee to pay, you just need to own a Nokia phone with integratied GPS that is compatible with Nokia maps. You dont even need to be on the network to use it as a sat nav
              I also like the way you can set all of your POIs on another PC connected to the internet, then sync them onto your phone wherever you are.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
                Its very quick and much quicker at updating your position on the go, one of the frustrations with my TomTom.

No problems so far.
                I'm so close to buying this now... Can you also update the maps/speed cameras/POIs etc from the 'net for free??

Comment

I'm so close to buying this now... Can you also update the maps/speed cameras/POIs etc from the 'net for free??
                  If you mean bottlegged....

Or try Cheap Laptop Deals, Monitors, Hard Drives and LCD TVs | Ebuyer.com - F&H Sat Nav at £49.99

Comment

The seller provides you with a login to his site which has all maps and POI's for most of the world. Updating just involves copying them over.

Last edited by gadgetman; 13 September 2010, 22:03.

Comment

Working...
                    X