• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excel link bug

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel link bug

I hate Office 2007, it seems very bug ridden, the menus are wierd and the help is awful.

Now I've got another problem. I Have links between two sheets with the same name in two different directories which was never a problem with previous versions using the full path name in the link. In 2007 I just get #REF. If I rename the referencing file to something different it's ok but one hardly wants accounts sheets to have different names every year just so one can carry some values forward.

Anyone else found this or got any solutions? Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Misread what you meant

tried it and get the same error
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 8 June 2010, 11:41.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Actually I don't get the same error

The error I was getting just now was from lazily copying the link I'd posted in here and modified to remove my name.

Just created 2 directories "ExcelTemp1" and "ExcelTemp2" both containing a spreadsheet called "Spreadsheet.xlsx"
      Linked successfully from one to the other.

I'd check your file names and quotes. 2007 might not be letting you be as carefree with your naming.
      Link i used was:
      ='F:\XXXXXX\My Documents\ExcelTemp1\[spreadsheet.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Cheers for checking that out for me! I just let excel do the work of putting in path etc by referencing another sheet while open, close and then change sheet name so should be right but will recheck your format to see i summit wierd going on with all these quotes and square brackets.

PS
        Nope, exactly same format as you've got. Sheet data.xlsm in folder ...Comp2009 has reference ='C:\Users\Public\Documents\Comp2008\[links.xlsm]This year links'!$D$5. As soon as I change links.xlsm to data.xlsm I get invalid reference message, even though the paths are different and links.xlsm is just a copy of data.xlsm.

Will just have to stick all carry forward stuff in sheet called links and ref that from next year sheets. Ta again!
        Last edited by xoggoth; 8 June 2010, 12:22.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Noticed your using xlsm files, tried it again and still don't get the same error
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
          X