• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Digital SLR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Digital SLR

I have a well-used Canon 300D - about five years old. I have the 18-55 kit lens that came with it and a 70-300 I bought at the same time. Being one of the early DSLRs, it's now old technology. The autofocus has never been very clever and the built in flash is decidedly average.

It can shoot raw, but I don't have sufficient time to muck about with raw images for more than a very few hours a year.

I am thinking about getting a new Canon body so I can keep my lenses - does anyone on here have a 5D?

Also considering switching to Nikon - anyone got a Nikon DSLR they'd care to recommend?

Bought my daughter a D40X Nikon, very happy with it but I guess that's old hat too by now.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Bought my daughter a D40X Nikon, very happy with it but I guess that's old hat too by now.
      Likewise, I've got a Nikon D40, somewhat old hat but I'm really happy with it.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I've always followed the advice from this site, it's always been top notch

http://www.dcresource.com/

Still got my canon 350D, which I'm happy with...
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The amusingly titled http://www.dpreview.com/ is also a very good resource, with some very, very detailed reviews.

Still happy with my Nikon D50 - it's a better camera than I am a photographer, but the Canon 5D MkII is supposedly a very good bit of kit.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Thanks all

Edit - Even the 300 D (old technology as it is) is a much better camera than I am a photographer - but I want a camera that will help me a bit more - dpreview seems to suggest that the 7d is a cheaper and in some ways superior to the 5d - interesting.
            Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 21 January 2010, 23:21.

Comment

Is the 7D full frame ?

I am planning on a 5D MkII next month, but I want to look at a 7D while i am at it.

My trusty 10D is "weathered" out now ...
              www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

perhaps go to a 400 or 450D, and get a better lens or two?

Good lenses won't be "old technology" nearly as fast as camera bodies.

There are a lot of lenses out there that are way better than the 18-55 for certain. I saw a galaxy of improvement on my 20D when I ebayed it and got a Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 lens.... photos were suddenly much sharper and more dynamic.

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post
                  Is the 7D full frame ?
                  No, I don't think it is.
                  Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                  X