• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY Hosting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durbs is pretty much correct, although my ADSL connection has been reliable (I use siteuptime to monitor it remotely every 15 minutes). Also I use a UPS for power and the missus would never unplug it (it's her site!)

Comment

I host my own site, and another for my uncle in addition to running my own exchange server thus providing my own email and pop3 mail for family. It all runs fine on ADSL, uptime is over 95% and I'm more than happy with the set up (I don't hoover so no risk there).

My only 'complaint' for want of a better word is that ADSL does not provide fast enough upload speed. Regardless of the fab 8MB downloads you can get, you're stuck with 256KB upload and that is pants. I'm currently looking into SDSL and trying to justify the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
        I host my own site, and another for my uncle in addition to running my own exchange server thus providing my own email and pop3 mail for family. It all runs fine on ADSL, uptime is over 95% and I'm more than happy with the set up (I don't hoover so no risk there).

My only 'complaint' for want of a better word is that ADSL does not provide fast enough upload speed. Regardless of the fab 8MB downloads you can get, you're stuck with 256KB upload and that is pants. I'm currently looking into SDSL and trying to justify the cost.
        Indeed, ladymuck, the 'A' in ADSL is what makes it affordable for the "man in the street" market. Taking that 'A' away will cost big bucks.

Comment

Working...
        X