• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LAN/file question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LAN/file question

I have two PC's connect on a wireless LAN (one desktop directly via the router and a laptop connected wirelessly). How do I share files between the two? What set up do I need to do in order to look at files stored on the other machine?

Thanks!

Which OS are you running?

If XP, then alter the properties of the folder that contains the files you wish to share so that the folder is shareable.

On the other PC, open an explorer window, using the tools option "Map Network Drive".

If you have a problem connecting then ensure you can ping the other PC from a Windows Command Line.

If you can't achieve the above then you should sell your computers and take up knitting.

Comment

The laptop has XP, the desktop has W98.

Would you allow me crochet instead...?!

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
        The laptop has XP, the desktop has W98.

Would you allow me crochet instead...?!
        Same method. Fancy making me a new blanket for my basket?

Comment

Laptop (wireless and XP) can successfully ping the desktop.

Desktop (wired & W98) no reply when ping-ing the laptop.

Where do I go from here other than getting rid of W98?!

The hard drive on the desktop has been shared and want to see transfer some files on it to the laptop.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
            Laptop (wireless and XP) can successfully ping the desktop.

Desktop (wired & W98) no reply when ping-ing the laptop.

Where do I go from here other than getting rid of W98?!

The hard drive on the desktop has been shared and want to see transfer some files on it to the laptop.

Any suggestions?
            LapLink or ...

Comment

Sounds like firewall's enabled on XP laptop - Add an exception in there for IP address of '98 machine.

Comment

Working...
              X