• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC Tuning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Why would you want to use VMware on top of windows just to run windows?
    Because he's AtW - and he can.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      Tried gaming under VMWare?
      No, I am not an idiot

Comment

All I want to do really is a tidy up without having to re-install.
        My pc came pre-configured and I don't have the software to do a re-build.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          All I want to do really is a tidy up without having to re-install.
          My pc came pre-configured and I don't have the software to do a re-build.
          I'd buy the software and do a re-install.

As mentioned, best way and would be good experience too.

Comment

This is what I do. Bear in mind that I am now Unix based and not PC based but I've been doing this for donkey's years.

If a PC is running slow then use one of or all of the following:

viruses & nasties:
            Zone Alarm, Spy Bot, Spy Sweeper, Ad Aware

Performance:
            Ace Utilities, Registry Tuneup, Registry Compactor
            PC Pitstop

If a PC is too far gone then re-install & re-build.
            Once reinstalled, patched and everything is back to how it should be then take an image of the PC using Acronis True Image and store somewhere save. Then in a year or two when Windows fails to work very well (Why is it just Windows and not Unix that do this ? Is is because Windows is pants?) re-install from the image and off you go again.

Comment

Try computer crap cleaner (now CCCleaner) followed by Defragler - use quick mode.

Both available from www.filehippo.com along with many other useful free tools.

Before you do that, make sure that you have all the latest drivers, patches etc first.

PZZ

Comment

If you have virus's and stuff and not just a slow PC, try Spybot S&D followed by the free Trend Housecall.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
                  This is what I do. Bear in mind that I am now Unix based and not PC based but I've been doing this for donkey's years.

If a PC is running slow then use one of or all of the following:

viruses & nasties:
                  Zone Alarm, Spy Bot, Spy Sweeper, Ad Aware

Performance:
                  Ace Utilities, Registry Tuneup, Registry Compactor
                  PC Pitstop

If a PC is too far gone then re-install & re-build.
                  Once reinstalled, patched and everything is back to how it should be then take an image of the PC using Acronis True Image and store somewhere save. Then in a year or two when Windows fails to work very well (Why is it just Windows and not Unix that do this ? Is is because Windows is pants?) re-install from the image and off you go again.
                  I'd also have a separate partition (or more than one) for data so that when you need to rebuild the OS, you are only hitting the one partition rather than needing to restore EVERYTHING from backup.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Advanced SystemCare Free as together they tend to clear most issues. Starting from scratch is the way to go for best results, but these two together do pretty well.

go to www.download.com and they are in their top 20 downloads
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

For anyone doing a clean install of Vista or Win 7, assuming you don`t have an SSD fitted, consider partitioning the drive first- it`ll help stop the machine from slowing down over time.

For example you could have three or four partitiions.
                      1. A small(ish) Windows system only partition.
                      2. A partition for temp files including the system page file, temp directories and temporary internet files.
                      3. A partition for programs to be installed on (Program Files directories) etc that you might also want to use for data storage.
                      4(optional). If enough drive space left over, a partition for data storage including My Documents folder if not already covered by 3.

For Vista and Win 7, 32-40gb is enough for Windows depending on which version is being installed. Having this as the first parition also ensures the system files are stored on the fastest part of the disk.

This also makes it easy to reinstall the OS later if required and also easy to backup your data

Nerd glasses
                      Last edited by SuperZ; 4 November 2009, 10:14.

Comment

Working...
                      X