• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple Memory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Memory

Morning,

I have an Apple iMac that i bought 2 years ago and which came with 1GB of memory.

I recently decided to increase the memory to the maximum allowable as outlined in the instruction booklet that came with it and as identified using Cruicial.com diagnostic tool.

So, when the new memory turned, i removed the 1GB module and fitted the two 2GB modules, switched the power on and although i could hear the CD/DVD ROM operate, the screen remained blank and unlit.

Anyway to cut a long story short, i tried each and every configuation but can only get the Apple to run up properly if the 1GB module is installed (in either slot) so the max i can get is 3GB.

Any ideas why this is please? Both 2GB modules work since i tried each individually with the 1GB module. A single 2GB Module has the same affect as if both 2GB modules are installed i.e. CD runs up but screen stays blank.

Any advice welcome.

Alan

I seem to remember that machines based on Core Duo processors (as opposed to the Core 2 Duo) restricts how much memory can be seen. I definitely know that my 3 year-old MacBookPro won't support 4Gb even if were possible install the modules.

It may also be the version of OSX you're using. Older versions probably don't support the capabilities of newer 64-bit processors.

Comment

OSX recognises 4GB of 667 DDR2 memory in my 24" imac (about 2 years old - alu version).

I'm now running 10.6, but it's recognised it since I bought it and was running Tiger.

I reckon you've got some duff modules...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Duff modules

Hi,

An update in case anybody happens on this thread with the same problem.

Have spoken to the vendor (Crucial) and apparently there is a problem with a batch of modules which prevents them from operating together hence ok with the original 1Gb module but no go when both 2Gb modules fitted. New units should be available soon.

Many thanks for the advice / info.

Regards

Alan

Comment

Good to know that Crucial stand behind their product. Thanks.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
          X