• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PS3 Slim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 Slim

Anyone know if the new PS3 slim is compatible with PS2 games? Was thinking of getting one and have some existing PS2 games that I still like to play.

If not, is there a hack to make it so?
    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

No PS2 compatibility

No Hacks to make it so
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      No PS2 compatibility

No Hacks to make it so
      WHS - no compatibility since the original 60GB "Phat" version I think.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

^^ WTS.

Backward compatibility was dropped to help reduce the cost of the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          Backward compatibility was dropped to help reduce the cost of the hardware.
          I think that was true for the US version (where the emulation was hardware based) but I think the UK version did all the emulation in software?
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
            I think that was true for the US version (where the emulation was hardware based) but I think the UK version did all the emulation in software?
            Correct. Only the original American kit had an additional PS2 chipset. The UK version was via software emulation.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Disappointing that I have to keep the PS2 hanging around if I want to play our older games though.
              Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
                Correct. Only the original American kit had an additional PS2 chipset. The UK version was via software emulation.
                Interesting, thanks for the info.

I did think, when I posted, that it must have been a separate chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
                  Thanks for the info. Disappointing that I have to keep the PS2 hanging around if I want to play our older games though.
                  Sony sold more PS2s last quarter than they did PS3s.

Sony sold more PS2s last quarter than they did PSPs.

The future is the past.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have to admit that I'm now wondering why I bother to buy a PS2 compatible PS3 recently off ebay. Now that I have it, we have found that some of the PS2 games we like don't play as well performance wise and the choice of PS3 game is definitely limited compared to those available for the PS2.

I wonder if the PS3 will just be a side note between the PS2 and PS4.

I guess it was the super weapon that won the DVD HD war.

Comment

Working...
                    X