• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Installing new network card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing new network card

I have a desktop to which I have added a Belkin network card. The HW is installed and the OS is recognising it but saying that the drivers are not available. When trying to install the new drivers from disc I run into problems since I get numerous messages saying that certain '.dll' files are missing. At this point it requests that one of the Windows discs be re-inserted. The problem is I can't find the Windows discs.......!!! The PC is a Gateway running Windows 98!

How can I resolve this? Can I indiviually load the .dll files - if so how? Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer version of Windows. At this moment, I dont necessarily want to rush out and buy a new desktop but, ho hum, I may have to if needs be.

This is a second PC so not a necessity.

All advice greatfully received!!

Reduced your blood pressure and bin Windows 98

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
      I have a desktop to which I have added a Belkin network card. The HW is installed and the OS is recognising it but saying that the drivers are not available. When trying to install the new drivers from disc I run into problems since I get numerous messages saying that certain '.dll' files are missing. At this point it requests that one of the Windows discs be re-inserted. The problem is I can't find the Windows discs.......!!! The PC is a Gateway running Windows 98!

How can I resolve this? Can I indiviually load the .dll files - if so how? Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer version of Windows. At this moment, I dont necessarily want to rush out and buy a new desktop but, ho hum, I may have to if needs be.

This is a second PC so not a necessity.

All advice greatfully received!!
      Seen this happen loads of times.

When you were installing the network card,The PC asked for the windows 98 CD. But was unsucessfull in finding it. That's where these errors come from. You need to uninstall the cards & drivers (Note the drive names) - This will not kill the errors to start with - However when the card gets reinstalled it will ask for the windows98 files once again. - Make sure the CAB files are either on your HDD or a windows 98 disk is in the drive.
      Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for all the input, the network card is now fully installed and I am connected to my broadband as we speak! I hadn't fully realised the use of the CAB files and what the implications of them. I will read up more but it was an education in it's own right!

Comment

Working...
        X