• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developing for Nokia N97

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developing for Nokia N97

Mentioned some while ago about developing for phones/mobile devices. As Ipod dev seems to need a Mac I thought I might take a gamble on the new N97 from Nokia.

Just downloaded Nokia N97 SDK and find I need ActivePerl and Java run time from Sun. The acronym it says I need does not seem to match exactly the various things available from Sun. For IDE/emulator I think I need Eclipse, going from other places on Nokia site.

I really am heartily confused as to what I need to get started and can't find any decent sumaries on net. Anyone looked at this or other Nokia phones and can outline the basics? Cheers.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 6 July 2009, 20:35.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I need ActivePerl and Java run time from Sun. The acronym it says I need does not seem to match exactly the various things available from Sun. For IDE/emulator I think I need Eclipse, going from other places on Nokia site.
    ActivePerl is just a distribution of Perl language on windows and has nothing to do with Sun.
    The acronym you're looking for is JRE and most likely JDK too and as long as you're getting the latest (1.6.x) you should be fine.

I've not looked in N97 very closely, but I'm sure it runs Symbian and one the nicest thing about it is probably trying to develop through QT framework to get some nice interface features.

Alternatively, you could write a webapp that works both on iPhone and N97 browsers... depends what you need to do really...

Comment

Ta for comment. J2SE I was looking for is now JSE apparently. Think I have all I need insatlled but quite how I begin to do anything I have still not figured out.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've got an N97, and it does indeed run Symbian. Symbian 60v5 to be precise.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I've given up. Followed instructions on instals and nothing works as docs say. No info on net. From other thread the N97 is crud anyway.
          bloggoth

Comment

I really would like to see something to challenge the iphone, but the N97 isnt it.
            I can see Nokia going bust if they keep on like this (& I used to contract there!).

Hopefully the next Samsung??

PZZ

Comment

Working...
            X