• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Broadband Extender?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Broadband Extender?

Is it worth throwing good money after bad and trying to use an extension cable with my 3 dongle?

Can't get the damn thing to work unless in city centres, if I could get it to work life would be almost bearable.

You're planning on running a cable to the nearest city centre?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Even better!

Comment

I got an extension cable with my 3 dongle package - and yes it does make a difference.

I generally try to hook it up to the window frame or the lamp next to the bed and it works better than plugging it straight into the notebook. I also plug the notebook into the mains rather than just use the battery as I think it helps receiving the signal.

It might all be tosh but it's rare never to get a signal...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I got a 5m usb extension for my ps2 buzz controllers - about a fiver from ebuyer. Try it and see HTH.
          "take me to your leader"

Comment

Just take back whatever you have and spend the money on a vodafone dongle, I'm guessing you've not got one otherwise this post would not have existed
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Do you mean an aerial?

Comment

Don't think OP means that - just put the dongle on a long extension so it can be placed in a better location (high up, out of the window, wherever) - better than sticking out the side of the laptop.
                "take me to your leader"

Comment

If you're going to those lengths to get mobile broadband at home, why not just get regular broadband with a wireless router?

Or, get one of those routers that can have a mobile broadand dongle attached?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    If you're going to those lengths to get mobile broadband at home, why not just get regular broadband with a wireless router?

Or, get one of those routers that can have a mobile broadand dongle attached?
                    The cost of a BT landline perhaps?
                    Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
                    X