• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vista SP2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista SP2

He we go again, MIcrow@nk Vista SP2 released but will not install; gets all the way to 100% of stage 3 then indicates install failure and reverts; fails with error code 80004005 (unknown error?, fncking wonderful ).

Googling about, there is an idea being floated that the SP2 install fails when dual booting a machine through Grub; on the off chance that this is correct how do you restore the original WinCrappy Boot tulipe to the MBR?

Does anyone have experience of running MS Word through Wine on Linux?

Ah, good old 0x80004005... Microsoft's Eric Lippert (Whom God Preserve) provided some insight into its uselesness on comp.lang.javascript back in 1997

It's an error of unspecified type generated by a COM component
    ".NET Jack! Wave of the future!"

Shame Microsoft haven't yet found a way to make .NET useful, and are still throwing E_FAIL from their latest & greatest updates
    Last edited by NickFitz; 31 May 2009, 02:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
      He we go again, MIcrow@nk Vista SP2 released but will not install; gets all the way to 100% of stage 3 then indicates install failure and reverts; fails with error code 80004005 (unknown error?, fncking wonderful ).

Googling about, there is an idea being floated that the SP2 install fails when dual booting a machine through Grub; on the off chance that this is correct how do you restore the original WinCrappy Boot tulipe to the MBR?

Does anyone have experience of running MS Word through Wine on Linux?
      I have a 3-way boot system on my laptop. 1 broken Vista install, 1 Linux and 1 working Vista install. SP2 installs ok on the working Vista install, and I am using GRUB as the boot manager.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I have updates set to manual fortunately. Have had incomplete updates screw up windows before.

The blurb says that that it support new hardware and emerging hardware standards and contains all the updates since SP1. Not sure why anyone with an existing PC who is not developing for newer machines and who already has the previous updates would need it. Think I'll leave it till net comments indicate it works anyway.

PS On previous threads about vista slow to start up and thrashing discs, I find in addition to all stuff on net about turning off superfetch etc you should clear your fault history to avoid trustedinstaller keep looking for solutions, get another virus checker other than free AVG8 and, if going away from machine for a period, kill the explorer process because most of the activity that kicks in in idle is just explorer interrogating files for no obvious reason. Log out and log in again to get desktop back.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 31 May 2009, 09:53.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          I have a 3-way boot system on my laptop. 1 broken Vista install, 1 Linux and 1 working Vista install. SP2 installs ok on the working Vista install, and I am using GRUB as the boot manager.
          Cheers, the grub idea is obvious a load of bollocks. I had a load of hassle installing SP1; I completely reinstalled Vista blowing away the grub boot manager, only restoring grub after SP1 had installed successfully.

Originally posted by xoggoth
          get another virus checker other than free AVG8
          Already removed AVG.

Comment

Well I downloaded it, disabled avast, double clicked it to start and held my breath. About 40mins later it successfully installed and not only that, a few others relating to Office 2007 have now managed to successfully install after failing for months with a 80070641 error. For once I am happy with that trouble free performance.
            Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

avast? Disable avast, please?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                I have updates set to manual fortunately. Have had incomplete updates screw up windows before.

The blurb says that that it support new hardware and emerging hardware standards and contains all the updates since SP1. Not sure why anyone with an existing PC who is not developing for newer machines and who already has the previous updates would need it. Think I'll leave it till net comments indicate it works anyway.

PS On previous threads about vista slow to start up and thrashing discs, I find in addition to all stuff on net about turning off superfetch etc you should clear your fault history to avoid trustedinstaller keep looking for solutions, get another virus checker other than free AVG8 and, if going away from machine for a period, kill the explorer process because most of the activity that kicks in in idle is just explorer interrogating files for no obvious reason. Log out and log in again to get desktop back.
                Or keep task manager running and start "Explorer.exe" manually.

Comment

Working...
                X