• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SQL Server install and tuning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL Server install and tuning

I have someone looking for a standard install and tune of SQL Server. While I can write code on SQL Server I've never installed it before - and what is 'standard post-install tuning'?

How much would that service cost if I was to sub-contract it?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

I can only think its setting correct Disk RAID levels, placement of things like TEMPDB, pagefile, placement of logs vs data files etc. Maybe some setting up indexes.

That'll be £100 please!

Comment

Ahh yes. things like TEMPDB and index files should be on separate devices from the DATA etc..
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        Ahh yes. things like TEMPDB and index files should be on separate devices from the DATA etc..
        It's entirely dependant on the type of databases and activity, £500 for 1 day reasonable DBA.

And yes, I could do that for you

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
          It's entirely dependant on the type of databases and activity, £500 for 1 day reasonable DBA.

WHS.

Though if you could make do with an OKish DBA I'll do it for £499.99

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post

Ah classic consulting - very vague, just quote your rate!

Comment

i'll do it for a £1000

for that price I promise to turn up on the day by 10.30am
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
              X