• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iphone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iphone

I'm considering buying an iphone, but would like to use my existing orange sim card in the phone.

I just wondered if anybody has successfully unlocked an iphone and got an orange sim card working with it ?

cheers

I don't know what the current state of play is with regard to unlocking iPhones running on the latest version of the software, but do bear in mind that if you're looking beyond the fancy UI and accelerometer-based games, much of the network-related functionality is, as the term might imply, dependent on functionality that resides in the network (O2's network in this country).

Therefore, even if the phone works well for non-telephony applications, you won't get many of the features that make it better as a phone - "visual voicemail" and suchlike. Both ends of the connection have to support those, and of course Orange don't, as it needs expensive infrastructure, and they have no guaranteed revenue stream from providing such support.

This is the main reason for the tie-in to one operator: it costs so much to provide the network infrastructure that operators want some guarantee of exclusivity on service provision.

EDIT: Oh, and although you could transfer your number, you couldn't even use an existing O2 sim card without jailbreaking the phone and sacrificing functionality - you have to upgrade and migrate the number even if you're an existing O2 customer, for the reasons outlined above.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 1 October 2008, 04:06.

Comment

I understand the latest firmware has been jailbroken and unlocked, you need the pwanage application

You not fancy waiting for the Google Phone?
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

It was my understanding, and perhaps I am wrong, that with iPhone 3G Apple had made it so it that "jail breaking" the phone does not allow an off network SIM to be used - it simply allows apps which are not available through AppStore to be loaded.

Even if you could use a third party SIM though, as alluded to, you would loose all the nice features of the iPhone.

HC.

Comment

There's two different things here:

1) Jailbreaking - means that you can install non apple apps on the iPhone
          2) Activation/unlocking - means you can use a non O2 SIM

What you're after is 2, and there is no easy way to do that with a 3G phone. You could use something like TurboSim which slots in the top with your Orange SIM, and fools the phone into thinking it's a legit O2 SIM or...

You could buy a 3G iPhone in a country where they'll unlock it, or have a legal obligation to unlock it, I know this is the case in Italy and Australia.

As others have mentioned, you'll loose whatever fancy features O2 provide exclusivly. I've got a 1st gen (2G) iPhone which could be unlocked, and I didn't miss visual voice mail. Although, I guess I never had it to begin with.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

The ony site you'll ever need:

http://iphone.unlock.no/

There are also applications out there that make the job easy (free):

QuickPwn

PwnageTool
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

From your site ScooterScot

"The new iPhone 3G is not possible to unlock at the moment"

Assuming the OP is going to buy new rather than off eBay. You can't get 2G iPhones any more.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post

"The new iPhone 3G is not possible to unlock at the moment"
                It's true. Anyone who claims otherwise is telling porkies (software unlock albeit). Keep watching this site though if an unlock becomes possible it will be on here.
                Last edited by scooterscot; 1 October 2008, 18:21.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  It's true.
                  Unless Apple / the carrier unlock it as is the case in Italy and Australia, and possibly other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                    Unless Apple / the carrier unlock it as is the case in Italy and Australia, and possibly other countries.
                    Isn't France one of those countries too?

Comment

Working...
                    X