• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote access

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote access

I'm getting a bit bored with spending hours on the phone to my old man while he ineptly clicks his way through control panel asking me if he should be using the right or left mouse button trying to resolve whatever he's screwed up this time.

Is there a (preferably free) solution I can use to remotely access his desktop from my XP box to his Vista box over the internet and save myself hours of frustration?

TIA
    ǝןqqıʍ

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    I'm getting a bit bored with spending hours on the phone to my old man while he ineptly clicks his way through control panel asking me if he should be using the right or left mouse button trying to resolve whatever he's screwed up this time.

Is there a (preferably free) solution I can use to remotely access his desktop from my XP box to his Vista box over the internet and save myself hours of frustration?

TIA
    This stuff is built in... you might need to port forward on his router if he has one.
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...7bfa01033.mspx

Alternatively, there are features built into MSN messenger that allow you to take control of his PC, I actually do this sometimes for one of my clients when they need some quick help with something and I'm elsewhere

or

<NickFitz>
    Buy him a Mac
    </NickFitz>
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I use a product called Crossloop, free to use

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
        I can empathise fully. As Spacecadet mentioned, I usually get my pop to request Remote Assistance from Windows Live Messenger - works a treat.
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I use a product called Crossloop, free to use
          Same here. Easy to use.
          SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

You could try https://www.copilot.com, I think they have a free demo and in theory you simply send him an email, he clicks on a link and off you go.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I use www.logmein.com

The have several versions but I use the free one and no issues so far !

Comment

Another vote for www.logmein.com

It doesn't help me when my old man phones me and asks how to work the telly though!

Comment

WinVNC?

Comment

Rdp?

Comment

Working...
                    X