• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop/PC security

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop/PC security

How do you secure your laptop or PC.

Just using a Windows password or some funky BIOS level security software.

I don't have a Windows password setup but was thinking of going for something at BIOS level instead.

I use Becrypt encrytpion for my laptop. I use an Ironkey usb memory stick for moving data around.
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

I don't have a Windows password setup but was thinking of going for something at BIOS level instead.
      It depends on how much you want to secure your laptop and how much you want to spend. Setting a password in the bios is pretty much pointless nowadays, because all I need to do is to take your hard drive out, place it into a different laptop and take all your data with the help of a bootable linux memory key. If you don't have any critical information on your laptop, then use a freebie disk encryption key. If the information on your laptop is likely to contain millions of prisoner details or millions of bank details, invest in a commercial disk encryption software that does not store the encryption keys in clear text in active memory / disk.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

FileVault - http://www.apple.com/sg/macosx/features/filevault/

Ain't no BIOS on a Mac either - we have no need for such ancient and inefficient technology...
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

TrueCrypt.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
            FileVault - http://www.apple.com/sg/macosx/features/filevault/

Ain't no BIOS on a Mac either - we have no need for such ancient and inefficient technology...
            Ah yes.

I wondered how long it would be before either you or ScooterScot jumped in with the old 'Just get a Mac!' comments

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              Ah yes.

I wondered how long it would be before either you or ScooterScot jumped in with the old 'Just get a Mac!' comments
              WHS

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                Ah yes.

Looks like you've lost the ability to read. The original question was how do you secure your laptop or PC.

Besides, I didn't say get a Mac. I said I use FileVault for encryption and that modern computers shouldn't need to have a BIOS (remember Windows runs just fine without one on Apple hardware) given that it's ancient technology from the early days of the PC.
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  This is so vague a question it's not worth asking...
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    This is so vague a question it's not worth asking...
                    That's where the additional lines of text come in:

but I suppose you just read what you wanted to

Comment

Working...
                    X