• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless networking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless networking

I am in the process of setting up the office for broadband. I have an existing desktop, 2 printers (one of which serves as a fax) and 2 laptops. I would like to set up a wireless LAN so that all computers can access it and the printers anywhere in the office.

What equipment do I need? The laptops are are wireless enabled already. I have the following questions:

* What is the difference between a wireless router and a Wireless access point?

* What are the best makes? IS Belkin OK?

* Do most manufacturers provide tech support during installation?

* How necessary is a print server or is there another way to set up the printers?

TIA!

I'm not sure about the exact kit you'll need but avoid NETGEAR. Just Google and you'll see why.

I use a LINKSYS wireless router that satisfies my needs (well most), but I dont do IP printing etc..

one more thing set it up securely, I often sit in my garden with 2 lap tops one on my wireless network and the other on an unkown neighbours.
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

snooping wireless can be harmful to your liberty

Gents,
      Be aware someone recently got their collar felt in possession of equipment that pertained to snooping upon open wireless connections...yes it was just a laptop !!!!
      It caught my attention as I have (inadvertently) found the same to be true, you can surf for free in most residential areas, not that I have nor ever tried to ...a friend told me
      By the way I am not legal or connected in any with law enforcement so dont quote me on this. Be aware you have been warned

Comment

Working...
      X