• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Server Help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server Help

Trying to get this S5000VSA Intel board to post.

Its having none of it.

When I power it up the fans spin for 1 second then they stop. Screen shows nothing.

Both the CPU fans and the case fans (powered from molex) come on for the same time then both go off.

I've tried 2 PSUs in it. A seasonic 600w and a seasonic x900 (new) both give the same results admittedly the 600 doesnt have the 5Vsb current of 3A only 2 but the X900 certainly does.

Trying to figure out what is wrong would powering the board out of the case on cardboard without processor or dimms harm the board.

If it posts to an error I can then start adding stuff till it doesn't.

Yep you can power up a motherboard without anything in it. Cardboard is usually the best bet. I've done it many a time with a variety of boards.

It obviously won't do much (you know that though because you're fault finding) it certainly won't harm it though. You might get some error beeps if the bios is half decent telling you the obviously bits are missing.

Sounds like you've got a short somewhere in the chassis.

Then again, could be the last component you'd suspect. I've seen some really wacky things over the years so nothing surprises me.
    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Yeah. I've got another motherboard (same make and model) sitting on the shelf. Didn't want to use that as one of the caps is dented (came like that) so was going to RMA it.

I'll power that up with the PSU. If it doesnt boot I'll assume its the power supply.

This could take some time.

Comment

Right.

Removed from case. No difference.

Removed all cards (i.e. RAID card etc) and nothing.

Removed CPUs and got 9 beeps from the onboard speaker.

According to the manual 9 beeps is a fatal error. Just doesn't say what is fatal about it.

Might test the 5Vsb current of the PSU.

Comment

Bummer.

Could well be the PSU.

Time to get the fluke out then (or the Maplin 7.99 special)

Comment

Yeah, either that or the motherboard is at fault - luckily I have a spare one. I think its suspect that there are no beeps when the CPUs are in which leads me to believe that a) the mobo is at fault. Its passing its own test (no beeps) but failing becuase its borked when it powers up.

If the same happens to the other MOBO I will assume PSU and RMA it. I can't see 2 faulty processors stopping the board from booting. At the least I would have expected it to beep or post to an error saying....bugger orf.

Or the PSU is faulty (its new and untested). If so will have to borrow one and see how it goes.

I've got a volt meter I will use to test.

Comment

Well new mobo arrived. Swapped it out and it now works.

For a trucker I sure am multi talented.

Comment

At least you got to the bottom of it. I hate troubleshooting my own equipment as it burns time and you can't invoice anyone for it!

It's quite unusual getting faulty components these days though. You didn't drop your yorkie bar on it did you?

All that playing around with CB radios has payed off!

Comment

I use to have the patience but not any more, I'd have kicked it!

Clever trucker boy.

That boy go raaaaaaa
                  Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

It was seriously tounch and go for a while.

Comment

Working...
                    X