• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Extracting Zip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
    Yes, my point is that if Winzip can run the file after it is opened, then the add on will create the self extractor. That should meet both of his reqs...

Oh yes, your excused!!
    Could you explain this in a little more detail? I buy the add-on. I stick it on my PC. I zip an Excel spreadsheet and create a self-extracting file.

I send that file to somebody else, who doesn't even have Winzip on his PC, never mind any add-ons. He double-clicks on the file I sent him, and in a single leap it is extracted and opened in Excel.

That's how I understand the requirement. Is that what you're saying the add-on does?
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
      Could you explain this in a little more detail? I buy the add-on. I stick it on my PC. I zip an Excel spreadsheet and create a self-extracting file.

I send that file to somebody else, who doesn't even have Winzip on his PC, never mind any add-ons. He double-clicks on the file I sent him, and in a single leap it ie extracted and opened in Excel.

That's how I understand the requirement. Is that what you're saying the add-on does?
      The add on will create the self extracting exe and it should also do the first part IIRC...I used it a long time ago in Winzip 5 or thereabouts...

Comment

I send that file to somebody else, who doesn't even have Winzip on his PC, never mind any add-ons. He double-clicks on the file I sent him, and in a single leap it is extracted and opened in Excel.

That is how the Winzip self extractor works, yes. You have to specify if a file will be opened on extraction. Loads of shareware uses this process.

and opened in Excel.
        If that is your computers default for .xls files, yes.

AFAIR it's free too.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Thanks Moscow.
          God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Working...
          X