• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reinstalling Windows Millenium Edition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinstalling Windows Millenium Edition

The bad news: the owner of my favourite bar has asked me to fix his virus hit PC. He wants a complete reinstall.

The good news: he's going to pay me by the hour.

It should be a straightforward affair, as far as installing ME plus Office are concerned but what after that?

Obviously, I need the latest patches, a firewall and an antivirus package.

My plan is to identify, download and burn the necessary patches, firewall and antivirus stuff to CD on my own system, so that I don't need to connect his system to the outside world until I've got it reasonably secure.

Does ME support Windows Update, and should I switch it on? He's got a cable connection so the bandwidth is there.

All suggestions welcome, as it's been ages since I did all this Windows stuf. Please bear in mind that since this guy is not technically savvy, I'm looking for simple to use and idiot proof firewall and antivirus packages.

TIA

Sysman in "I hated W98, no doubt this'll teach me to hate ME too" mode.

> he's going to pay me by the hour

and what rate are you offering us?

Charging someone by the hour for something you clearly have no expertise in is immoral.

Comment

Charging someone by the hour for something you clearly have no expertise in is immoral.
      *PLONK*

Comment

www.windows-help.net/windowsMe/install.shtml

Comment

yeah good idea - install WinME - this way you will guarantee recurring business

Comment

> *PLONK*

no - unlike you honest and not chasing a quick buck.

Comment

no - unlike you honest and not chasing a quick buck
              You mean "honest" like spending all day posting insults and toilet humour from work? Yeah... right...

WTF do you think I'm doing asking for pointers, if not to save time?

Let's face it, you're p*ssed off because I thought you'd gone overboard in your reaction to threaded and let you know it.

Comment

I don't give a damn what you think about me and clearly that view is reciprocated.

I have my own standards and try to stick to them. What I do with my time here is absolutely none of your business - it is the business of the client and they are quite happy that they are getting vfm - I hope yours will be too.

Comment

re

Hmm, if this board is all about the exchange of information, be it for one's own gain or that of others - and/or for subsequent charging, what the hell does it matter whether the guy is charging on the back end for something he isn't too aware of?

The accountants here aren't upset that they aren't getting any money for occasional pointers, likewise other contributors that have benefitted in the past and are only too happy to pay it back later on.

Whatever works for the individual, surely?

Comment

Re: re

Perhaps you'd like to pay me by the hour to service your car? I drive one just like it (it's got four wheels and an engine).

I know @#%$ all about it but I suppose I can buy a hammer, chisel, and Haynes manual to get me started and maybe try to find a car nutters forum too.

Comment

Working...
                    X