• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Possible virus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible virus

I have been sent a file with an extension of .xls.tg.zip

Am I right in thinking that there is a virus somewhere responsible for this? I have scanned my PC and AVG (with the latest update) comes back with nothing. Is that because AVG is not very good, or that the problem is at the other end? Any help would be appreciated. The person who sent me the file insists that the file extension was .xls on her PC and that my machine is probably infected.

I've had a quick look on Symantek and can't find anything (*NOTE* It could still be a virus though...).

It sounds like your mate has the virus - she wouldn't know that her virus would convert the file before sending it out. Provided you keep up-to-date with AVG I would be happy with it.. (however if you depend on your machine for your work I would put a subscription AV software on it...)

Comment

virus ?

Well given that the file was deliberatly sent, it isnt one of the worm jobbies.

.zip I can understand cause some systems will auto compress a large file.

.tg could mean tar/gzip ? just showing that the file has been fully compressed ?

I would expect that if you open it in zip it will say, 'this file contains an archive - do you want to extract the archive' or similar.

I dont think its a virus.

But check the email header and make sure there isnt any other extension in there (esp after a long whitespace.)

save attachment, start zip and choose open archive., select.

Comment

Thanks for the responses

The file is one which has done the rounds and I suspect that a virus could have been picked up in the process. I have scanned my PC and it apprears clean. When I tried to open the file everything was garbled.

Comment

Working...
        X