• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worm

I have a problem on Windows 2000 that everytime I login into the internet through my modem, a svchost process consumes increasing amounts of CPU resources until I have to switch off.

There are now no new obvious executables and I suspect some viral service is being run by the svchost. I can't find any recent dll files.

A few months ago I caught the blaster virus, which I sort of suspect has something to do with it. I removed the msblast executable, but it appears some svchost service remains.

It would even be helpful if I could abort the svchost, which would enable me to download microsoft patches though I^m not sure this would work until I'm free of this worm.

Any help appreciated.

have you tried

procexp.exe from sysinternals,com. it gives more info about users of services, processes etc and might help carify things a bit?

Comment

Re: have you tried

Thanks Scotspine.

I've noticed the virus does file transfers generates TFTPXXX files in my system32 directory.

Does this ring a bell ?

Comment

sounds nimda-esqe

to me. also sounds like you have a fairly unprotected, unpatched machine?

Comment

Re: sounds nimda-esqe

Well there is a virus checker, but I'm going to download the rpc patch and a firewall.

What caused the problem I think was teekids.exe that is a variant of msblaster.

I deleted teekids but it seems to have left something hanging around.

You wouldn't know what that was ?

Comment

if you're not patched, firewalled, ad-awared, spybotted,

anti-virused, mbsa'd, routed, etc, then you're doomed

have you tried

securityresponse.symantec....tool.html

yet?

Comment

better

securityresponse.symantec....worm.html

Comment

Sounds like you need to run Stinger.

Then you need to patch the machine to the hilt, and install up-to-date AV and firewall.
                (Just removing the msblast.exe file doesn't fix it, there's stuff left in the registry to help it "reproduce".)

Comment

Well thanks for the advice, Im going to try these anti-virus programs out and then stick the patch and a firewall on.

Comment

how are you connecting ?

If you are on broadband go out and buy a properish firewall router, less than £100.

then run a software firewall as well. (I like kerio)

def get the tools for specific removal.

When Im looking at a possibly flaky machine I go through the process list and google the name of everything executing.

then go through the registry for the startup programs and google on those as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X