• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hard Disk Damage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Disk Damage

Made a school boy error last night. Set up my desktop pc in my living room and set it up close to my washing machine (which was on a full cycle). Left the pc on, went out and when I came back it the computer had frozen. Restarted it and on booting I got the message ‘NTLDR is Missing’ and the machine goes no futher.

Thus it seems to me that my hard disk cannot be accessed – NTLDR is the part of the disk which loads Windows is it not?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knew of the chances of recovering data off the disk and the best way to do it? Was thinking of taking the disk out of the PC chassis, loading it into another machine and 1) seeing what I can access on there (if anything) and 2) searching the net for some disk data-recovery/repair programs. Anyone know of any decent programs or indeed the best way to recover data?

Cheers in advance

washing machine...in living room!:rollin
    NTLDR is a file on the disk.
    Have you tried your ERD or booting from your WIndows CD ? if the disk is usable which it sounds like it is , the either of these options should help.

Comment

?

Have you tried removing the floppy disk from the drive?

Comment

re

RE: Washing machine in living room.

That's open plan living for you!

Am going to try boot disks this evening. Thinking worst case however (can't read the disk) I was just wondering if anyone knew of any decent recovery apps?

Comment

Re: re

The most likely answer has already been mentioned - you've left a floppy in it.

Comment

If it's not the floppy but a hard disc boot sector fault, there is an undocumented /mbr option on chkdisk that I have used a couple of times to fix such problems in win98. Not sure if that still works on 2000/NT/XP but it might be worth a search on internet.

Comment

There was also a well documented fault with the first version of XP which could lose hard disc boot files if the machine wasn't shutdown properly.

Comment

Working...
              X