• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dual Boot

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Boot

My new PC arrives soon and I'd like to make it Dual Boot with Linux & XP.

Unfortunately it comes with XP pre-loaded (Dell wouldn't send it bare) and I've been told it's best to install the Linux first.

Is this the case or will I be able to get the Linux on with XP already there. It has two HDDs and I believe only one will be loaded with XP.

Is it advisable to start from scratch and wipe whatever is preloaded?

re

Just install linux (which one are you using?) on the other disk. The dual-boot thing can be a real pain unless you get it bob-on so sticking them on 2 HDDs is safer. To change OS at boot do it through BIOS. Doing dual-boot is ideal but a lot more fidgety with partitions.

Comment

dual boot

is pIss easy. Linux installs best AFTER windows - cos windows doesnt understand the idea of anything else being on the disk.

Either use pmagic or similar to shrink your xp partition or have linux install on a 2nd disk.

Comment

Re: dual boot

As Mark Snowdon says use pmagic to shrink your XP partition

I also created my Linux partitions with pmagic b4 installing Linux, just a personal preference.

Comment

Reual-boot

Did you sort it ohwell?

Comment

Working...
          X