• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ignore again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignore again

Jscript query but sorted.

I have found that the best way of avoiding javascript problems is to avoid using it

Comment

have you found the best way to use frames yet then?

Comment

Jscript is groovy

PS Frames should go absolutely everywhere, my equivalent of sharks in formaldehyde.

PPS Thought my scene where you can place characters and speech bubbles on Elizabethan stage was just about finished but discovered characters not staying in order of stage position.This means if you drop Juliet with outstretched arm in front of Prince of Verona her hand disappears into his horse's bottom. One would never get away with that in primary school software. Took me long enought to stop them placing so heads stuck out of top of pillars.

Comment

> have you found the best way to use frames yet then?

have you managed to put your site together at all yet? I haven't seen you spamming it.

I do use frames extensively because I find that I can more easily present stuff I want indexed to google that way plus a static menu if you have some long pages improves site navigation. By ensuring all visitors enter the site at the entry page (using javascript) you can both ensure they see everything the site has to offer plus the extra couple of clicks to get where they want to go presents them with more adverts.

I have 2 non-framed sites (because I'm using an off-the-peg shop script which I've heavily modified ...

www.*******.co.uk and one still under development (but feel free to buy stuff if you want www.autobits.co.uk

The active framed sites are ..
          www.kwikbreaks.co.uk
          www.*********.co.uk
          www.************.co.uk
          www.itdoctors.co.uk

Thank you for this spam opportunity - feel free to spam your own site - I'm not expecting many visitors from it but there is one very important one that will see this - the googlebot

On the javascript front - now that IE is dominating the browser scene javascript may be getting more usable but there will still be some visitors that will get errors or not see the results of your labours because of differences in the DOM between browsers and implementation differences of other features.
          Both ITDoctors and ************ use a little script in the top frame to produce a Flash style text effect - I use php to ensure that the script is only served to IE.

Comment

Indeed fiddle. I have two sites, one just my fanny about one with xoggoth stories as per my link what I wrote years ago in eval copy of dreamweaver and the latest gatekeeper site that is hand coded and supposed to be a commercial site haha and we have not yet had a single bleedin order thru it, using my js/php order forms or the credit card things we paid £300 for anyhow. Only orders we have had have come via fax or post.

I am not doing webtulipes as such but downloadable exercises, which will run in either usual browsers or in a VB browser on CD when I can add extra features.

Since you are here, any idea of syntax for using the MS script encoder if you are linking the script rather than having it in the head? is there a better encoder that everyone does not have a decoder for?

PS Having a Mazda site seems a bit uncommercial. Sure most people just buy their light bulbs from Woolworths like I do.

Comment

aa

there is no need for frames when you can use tables with PHP included files - this keeps development as easy as with frames, layout is for most purposes is the same and no disadvantages from frames.

my site will be up when its ready

Comment

Re: aa

> my site will be up when its ready

I keep saying something similar to Mrs. Fiddle these days (only joking)

You keep on talking about "the disadvantages of frames" - I've heard many others whitter on about this but so far heard not a single reason which I couldn't demolish in seconds. Frames are lower bandwidth and overall generate less server requests too

Light bulbs? Light bulbs! A real troll would be talking about hairdressers in association with the MX5.

We use PayPal on both sites at the moment - it maybe sucks but it is FREE - so far we've only made a few hundred profit from ******* because it is so niche and we don't have many products.

We will go over to WorldPay (probably) if/when business picks up. One danger we would face is having the turnover take us over the VAT threshold.

Comment

aaa

well, I am a long time frames user - my homepage is still using frames, that was carried from 1996.

These days most web servers are HTTP1.1, which means all requests go through same established connection, if its a static page/file then its very fast, if its dymanic page then generally it should not matter to include a few static nav bars - you do gain in bandwidth but only if people actually view LOTS of pages on your site.

Myself I might go for PayPal first, then to WorldPay.

Comment

Re: aaa

> only if people actually view LOTS of pages on your site

The only site I have that consumes a lot of bandwidth is www.kwikbreaks.co.uk - all of the pages in the main part of the site (campsite directory) are created on the fly from the MySQL database and users do usually view a lot of pages (mostly because I take them through the search in stages to maximise the number of ads presented - ads are still the main income stream but I am now getting fees from some of the campsites. If / when fee revenue greatly exceeds advert revenue I may look at reducing the seach steps but I'm in no rush to do so.

Fiddle in I'm not a charity mode

Comment

Working...
                    X