• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data Sim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Sim

My router supports an LTE WAN as well as cable and ADSL. My main WAN is FTTM radio which works great but the storm this weekend took out some of the transmitters and I was without t'Internet from Saturday until now. Normally I'd switch to the LTE as backup but was out of credit and '3' have gone all weird and expensive with their SIM deals. So I'm looking for a 12 or 24 month SIM deal with a one off cost for a bundle of data that I may or may not use as its a backup and I don't want to pay £x per month Anyone know of any such deals as I'm having trouble finding one? There used to be such deals but now everyone wants you to pay per month whether PAYG or contract

You mean you want a PAYG sim?

https://www.o2.co.uk/tablet-sims
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Giff Gaff do recurring gold goodybags. 15Gb data for £10/month. Other packages exist too. Some routers and home networks support routing voice calls through as a last resort, in the event your home phone and other network provider mast stops providing service.

Comment

I'm with Three and pay £16 a month for unlimited everything. I trialled my 5G pohone as a USB tethered, averaged 382Mb but got a peak of 703Mb. If it's only a back-up why not use your normal phone/sim instead of paying extra? If you are already with Three, an extra unlimited sim is £10 for 12 months.

Comment

Did anyone actually read the question? The OP wants a ONE OFF purchase WITHOUT A MONTHLY COST. eg, pay £x for xGB and it lasts x months before expiring.

I'm afraid I'm not aware of such a deal - there's very little in it for the carriers to offer such a service.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            Did anyone actually read the question? The OP wants a ONE OFF purchase WITHOUT A MONTHLY COST. eg, pay £x for xGB and it lasts x months before expiring.

I'm afraid I'm not aware of such a deal - there's very little in it for the carriers to offer such a service.
            Did you actually read the link in my reply?

You buy the SIM for £10, that gives you 1GB of data.
            Then for £75 you get 20GB of data (or £60 for 12GB) to use over a 12 month period WITHOUT A MONTHLY COST
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Did you actually read the link in my reply?

You buy the SIM for £10, that gives you 1GB of data.
              Then for £75 you get 20GB of data (or £60 for 12GB) to use over a 12 month period WITHOUT A MONTHLY COST
              A "Tablet" plan will be cut off the second you put the sim in a router. What's needed is a "Mobile Broadband" plan, but they look to be available on pay monthly only.

Comment

How much data do you need?

I use a 3 24gb 2 year SIM for £35 (amazon) in my car

Comment

you want one of these

Three Mobile Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband 24 GB data SIM: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

24GB that lasts 2 years. If it runs out buy another. I'm on my 3rd. About to buy another the iPad.
                  You're welcome.

EDIT: Archangel said the same. They appear to have gone up in price though.
                  Last edited by Lance; 1 December 2021, 12:05.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                  X