• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Preventing Network Discovery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preventing Network Discovery

We have a separate annex on the side of the house which has a wireless access point attached to a cat 6 cable which goes straight back to the main house router. The access point is solely used by the annex.

We're wanting to AirB&B the annex and provide Internet access. What's the easiest way to allow access to the wireless access point but prevent someone from hacking us or using network discovery? Obviously we've got secure passwords etc but is there anything more substantial we can do?

Many thanks.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    We have a separate annex on the side of the house which has a wireless access point attached to a cat 6 cable which goes straight back to the main house router. The access point is solely used by the annex.

We're wanting to AirB&B the annex and provide Internet access. What's the easiest way to allow access to the wireless access point but prevent someone from hacking us or using network discovery? Obviously we've got secure passwords etc but is there anything more substantial we can do?

Many thanks.
    separate IP range and a vlan would be the approach.

Were this me the structure would be to add something like an ubiquiti edgerouter in front of your main router (which I would treat as a modem) and from the edge router create 2 networks - one providing wifi around your house via a new wifi access point and the other to the the annex
    Last edited by eek; 26 June 2021, 09:23.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You can have two internet broadband providers as well, so for example you could have BT and Virgin Media, or SKY.

This way, everything is completely isolated and out of the box there is nothing really shared, except you have two bills to pay.

When you are not using the Airbnb, you can connect to both and have 2x the bandwidth.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Thanks chaps - two different approaches and both of them appreciated.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Some routers provide a guest wireless access option that does most of this for you. It also stops your kids giving out access details to all their mates.

Make sure you have a wireless printer that accepts print requests from Guest.

Its basically a vlan on your router.

Alternatively a second router wan side and disable the fibre password.

Alternatively set up a radius server and provide them with limited time log ins. can be combined with above. Like proper hotels do.

That way you only trust your guests for say 7 days.
          Last edited by vetran; 29 June 2021, 07:50.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Some routers provide a guest wireless access option that does most of this for you. It also stops your kids giving out access details to all their mates.

Make sure you have a wireless printer that accepts print requests from Guest.

Its basically a vlan on your router.

Alternatively a second router wan side and disable the fibre password.

Alternatively set up a radius server and provide them with limited time log ins. can be combined with above. Like proper hotels do.

That way you only trust your guests for say 7 days.
            All advice I would have given except for the additional details " separate annex on the side of the house which has a wireless access point attached to a cat 6 cable " which implies that the current wireless network isn't much use in the annex.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
            X