• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Promapp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promapp

Client org strategy is to move to BPMS & using Promapp.

Having done some research, it seems well regarded; in short, it simplifies org processes in order to promote process thinking & encourage engagement with processes across the org, which is a good thing imho, although at the same time, sounding the death knell for the more formal (& considered complex by some) BPMN 2.0.

Anyone have any experience of using it, & willing to share thoughts?
    Clarity is everything

No experience but will be interested to hear more about it. I'll do some reading

Comment

I’ve used something similar - Nimbus Control-CS (Tibco bought it some years ago).

If it’s anything like Nimbus it’s excellent and does simplify processes enough to make them useable throughout the company.

And that sadly was also it’s downfall (outside of the client that implemented it). Most British companies are in the Dark Ages when it comes to business processes and just see them as shelf ware, not to be really used after they’re written.

And while they’re being written, a process isn’t a process unless it’s littered with swim lanes and sprinkled with diamonds.

And they are expensive as the company needs to be trained in using them, and they need to be embedded in the organisation.

The last time I encountered it was when I did a gig in the NHS, a senior IT manager ranted at me when I presented a process that looked similar to a Nimbus process. Apparently a year before my project, he installed Nimbus without considering changes to the org and the training required, and it bit him on the arse.

All that said, I would jump at the chance to do a Promapp project, just remember what I said above, lessons learned, eh?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yep, it looks favourable..

TrustRadius Promapp vs Nimbus
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I’ve used something similar - Nimbus Control-CS (Tibco bought it some years ago).

If it’s anything like Nimbus it’s excellent and does simplify processes enough to make them useable throughout the company.

And that sadly was also it’s downfall (outside of the client that implemented it). Most British companies are in the Dark Ages when it comes to business processes and just see them as shelf ware, not to be really used after they’re written.

And while they’re being written, a process isn’t a process unless it’s littered with swim lanes and sprinkled with diamonds.

And they are expensive as the company needs to be trained in using them, and they need to be embedded in the organisation.

The last time I encountered it was when I did a gig in the NHS a senior IT manager ranted at me when I presented a process that looked similar to a Nimbus process. Apparently a year before my project, he installed Nimbus without considering changes to the org and the training required, and it bit him on the arse.

All that said, I would jump at the chance to do a Promapp project, just remember what I said above, lessons learned, eh?
          Interesting. Not had any involvement with (or knowledge of) Nimbus tbh, I've always (for years) used Visio & BPMN.

It seems with Promapp that you basically list the process activities, as opposed to mapping directly like we do in Visio....so there's no adding activity shapes, struggling with connections, decision boxes, or anything like that. After inputting the text steps, the program produces the simplistic flow diagram.

From what I've seen in demos so far, swimlane structure has been retained, but no gateways of any sort, and instead uses 'if' statements in drop-down process step information dialogue boxes.

It'll be an interesting project to join, with a different way of thinking, & creating processes, but there's a risk, in the long term, that I could get rusty with BPMN - thinking of the adage if you don't use it you'll lose it.
          Clarity is everything

Comment

I never got rusty with BPMN, but I did get bored and frustrated with it after working with Nimbus.

Conceptually I’ve moved onto Adaptive Case Management and have a general disdain for most companies approach to business processes. Unfortunately British business is still in the 90’s

https://twitter.com/cojakuk/status/1...891645953?s=21

Comment

Working...
            X