• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple TV

Anyone got an Apple TV? When most stuff is streamed why does it need an internal memory? Most places only have the 32gb model in stock, will that be enough?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Yes, don't know, never had a problem.

HTH
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Anyone got an Apple TV? When most stuff is streamed why does it need an internal memory? Most places only have the 32gb model in stock, will that be enough?
      Yep. Got the 32Gb version. You can download additional apps and games for it that require memory to store. l've never had an issue with memory being a problem.

Best Apple TV apps for 2020 | iMore

I use mine for running Zwift. More convenient that having to have a dedicated PC and easier to connect to a TV than a tablet or phone.

Zwift
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Yes, I’ve had three different versions - the old model 3, the model 4 (now called the HD I think), and now the 4K which I got on the day it was released.

Memory is for buffering and so on and, as DaveB says, games and other apps need memory to work with. (Come to that, the UI is really a bunch of apps that need memory to work with).

I had 32GB in the 4, but went for the full 64GB for the 4K because it’s only an extra £20 (£199 v. £179). I have absolutely no idea whether or not I’ve benefited in any way from this decision, as I only use it for watching video and occasionally streaming music and video from one of the Macs.

Comment

Somewhat like NF, I went for the 64GB version. Almost everything I've owned (phones, computers) eventually runs out of memory, a few years down the line, so I try to buy the max I can afford to be future-proof.

John Lewis have the 4K in stock online. Apple store ships free next day.

P.S. I love my ATV 4Ks (I have 2), it's the only device where the C4 app seems to work properly :-)

Comment

I have the 4gen 32GB, not even close to filling it up. It's basically a screen-less tablet with modified OS. The memory is to store apps. As above, if the difference between the 32GB and 64GB is only £20 I would go for the latter.

It's way too overpriced for a streaming box and the remote is iffy. It's only advantage over much cheaper competing options is the AirPlay. If you are not using that, really no reason to pay "Apple tax". You can get an XBOX One S for £150

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              It's only advantage over much cheaper competing options is the AirPlay. If you are not using that, really no reason to pay "Apple tax".
              Well... I have music and movies purchased from Apple, so there's that. I've not had any problems with the remote, although the touchpad thing can whizz one or two icons along more than expected!

These days I tend to buy movies so that they're accessible from more than one device at more than one location, which is convenient. I suppose I could get a Sky movies subscription instead

I also like that I can get other apps for the ATV, e.g. UDEMY for worky stuff, not just games (which I never have time to play anyway). I suppose you can also get those on a phone or tablet and cast to your TV.

Maybe I'm a little too much invested in Apple ...

Comment

I have an Apple TV 4k. I got it recently. I am underwhelemed by what it does for quite a lot of money.
                A firestick 4k is less than £30.

What am I missing about Apple TV? It can't be that expensive just for the Apple tax, but I cannot see what it gives me that Firestick doesn't.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  I have an Apple TV 4k. I got it recently. I am underwhelemed by what it does for quite a lot of money.

What am I missing about Apple TV? It can't be that expensive just for the Apple tax, but I cannot see what it gives me that Firestick doesn't.
                  If all you want is to stream movies and TV shows on Amazon or Netflix with voice control, then yes, the Firestick is much better value. The ATV also lets you install other Apps that do more than just stream content. I use it to run Zwift, for example rather than having to have a full PC in the garage or faff about getting my iPad hooked up to the screen.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

We have a fire stick at the moment, and yes for streaming they are cheaper, however I am wanting it for AirPlay and Apple Arcade - Apple (UK) as the kids don't have enough games to play with a Switch, PS2 and PS4
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X