• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Network operator question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network operator question

Hi All,

At work we have to log in to use the internet. i.e. every time I open up Internet Explorer (v6), and enter a www address, I am prompted for my username/password.

So it appears that the company (big bank) can monitor every site I visit.

At work I tend to leave a webpage open (all day) that streams in realtime stock prices.

Does this use a lot of bandwidth?
    What would the network operators be looking out for in terms of my personal internet usage?

I'm just trying to make sure I stay outta trouble....

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 30 November 2006, 15:13.

or you could just save your personal browsing for home
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I doubt they check it regulary.

They probably have some program filtering out specific blacklisted sites and it will alert them if you hit a site on the blacklist. Otherwise it will just quietly log everything and be ignored unless they decide they want to get rid of you, and then they will pull out your browsing history and see if there is anything there that they can use to get rid of you.

Comment

Hard to say for sure but if it's a streaming feed then yeah, it'll use up some (Not significant, but if it measures by total download say it'll be more than normal usage).

But I wouldn't stress - that's standard practice for most banks (All I been at) and I never seen anyone get pulled up for using too much, and the dodgy sites are normally blocked.

Anyway, I'm guessing your firewall team are probably a bit busy with bigger issues than worrying about how much bandwidth you're using up, I know cause I've been one of them.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Read the clients AUP and act accordingly...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

What does it stream? Video or audio or text (ticker tape style).

The latter naff all. I hazard a guess at under a Mb a day. Not something that they are going to get bothered over.

Comment

Hi All and thanks for the (re-assuring) responses.

Yes it's mainly text, not quite ticker tape but just a lot of real-time feeds and quotes going on every second.

This contract would be so boring if I couldn't do that!

Hopefully I'll be OK!

Comment

Working...
              X