Posts 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: DNS help

TykeLike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default DNS help

I can't get a static IP from my ISP, so I use https://www.noip.com/ which gives me an ugly %username%.noip.me address, if I was to create a custom "CNAME" DNS record with my hosting provider and forward whateveriwanthere.mydomain.com to the %username%.noip.me would that work?
    Last edited by SimonMac; 22nd September 2017 at 15:14.
    ôLive a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.ö

― Marcus Aurelius

More time posting than coding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    I can't get a static IP from my ISP, so I use https://www.noip.com/ which gives me an ugly %username%.noip.me address, if I was to create a custom "CNAME" DNS record with my hosting provider and forward whateveriwanthere.mydomain.com to the %username%.noip.me would that work?
    Yes - that's what CNAME records are for. The only thing you have to watch out for is if you do it for your root domain, it'll screw with all the MX records etc. and you'll need to recreate them in the other domain (it redirects all queries) - this may not actually be possible. But if you create it for say www.yourdomain.bob or apps.yourdomain.io it should be fine.

sal

Contractor Among Contractors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It will work, but if you need SSL or mail you will need to take some actions