• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Desktop PC + Windows Server + concurrent users

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop PC + Windows Server + concurrent users

The Dell desktop server is dying at my wife's company - powering off every hour or so. Still it's been there quite a few years, so need to look at getting a new one.

The old one is running Windows Server 2008 foundation. I think I need to stick with a Windows Server version as they use simultaneous/concurrent users (one user logged in locally, another logged in remotely).

It seems desktop Windows versions (8, 10) only allow one user to be logged in at any time. There are a few hacks to enable multiple concurrent users, but it looks like these can get trashed when a Windows update occurs.

Shame, as other than the concurrent users, there's no real requirement to run a Server OS ! So, will probably go for Windows Server 2016 Essentials.

Before I get one from the Dell website, any others worth having a look at?

Free hypervisor like Hyper-V server / ESXi / KVM and as many VMs running Windows Desktop on top - cheapo VDI.

Is the existing License OEM (can't be transferred to new iron)?

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
      The Dell desktop server is dying at my wife's company - powering off every hour or so. Still it's been there quite a few years, so need to look at getting a new one.
      When did they last clean the fans/airfilters/heatsinks?

Comment

^^ this. I bet if you pop the cover, you'll find it full of ick. A good half hour with an air duster might work wonders.

If it's turning off randomly (an issue I had with one of my PC's) it could be that the processor fan is on the wonk. Again, with the cover off, fire it up and see if all parts that should move, are moving freely. If the clean up doesn't work, it's worth spending a tenner on a new fan and swapping them out.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          Free hypervisor like Hyper-V server / ESXi / KVM and as many VMs running Windows Desktop on top - cheapo VDI.

Is the existing License OEM (can't be transferred to new iron)?
          Would prefer to go with one desktop + multiple sessions. The main requirement is to access one application installed on the server. Get's tricky if i try to make it a 'network app' ...

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
            When did they last clean the fans/airfilters/heatsinks?
            Probably would help solve the issue, although I'm scared to lift the lid. The office it's in is hanging (it's a work yard) so no doubt there's a few kilos of dirt in there. I may get a hazchem suit on and brave it...

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
              Probably would help solve the issue, although I'm scared to lift the lid. The office it's in is hanging (it's a work yard) so no doubt there's a few kilos of dirt in there. I may get a hazchem suit on and brave it...
              Wear a surgical mask and latex gloves then you will be fine.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Take it outside and work from upwind.
                Definitely don't breathe the dust.

Comment

Cheers. Will see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Wear a surgical mask and latex gloves then you will be fine.
                    thats what she said.

Comment

Working...
                    X