• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop goggles - does this exist?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop goggles - does this exist?

Does anyone make and sell glasses which act as a 2nd monitor to your laptop? I'm imagining something a bit like Google Glass, a bit like these VR headsets but purely to display your HDMI/VGA output projected into your glasses.

I'm sure there are other uses but I was struck by the PITA of wanting to work outside on a nice day and struggling to see the screen. If I could just plug some goggles into my laptop I'd look a plonker but could enjoy the sun

VR products seem a bit OTT and I'm not sure you can use them for this purpose? Or what about cheaper alternatives?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Funny enough I was thinking of the same thing earlier in the week when it was sunny in the garden and the technical ebook on my kindle doesn't present as well as on my iPad due to the crappy 6" eink display.

For that a larger eink screen would do but since the Kindle DX and other large screen eink based ereaders have been replaced by inferior (for reading) tablets it's not much of an option price wise.

Maybe one of those google cardboard VR things would work, or at least be a cheap way of checking for those with a suitable smartphone. Just need an app to remote into the laptop or whatever it is the content is you want to access.

I expect this is one of those hive mind type things where loads think of the same thing and someone comes along within days (or sooner ) with a solution, as if it was all some subliminal advertising campaign that made us think of it in the first place.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Off-topic but I'm amazed an active display on any device would be more legible than any e-ink screen.

I even thought of a use for VR/augmented glasses so you look around and everything is normal, you look at the laptop and see the actual screen-display augmented on top where the screen is... if I explained that well. Everyone else might see you looking at a blank screen, or it could still show the content but you get an enhanced version projected on your glasses.

Comment

Get yourself one of these:

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          Get yourself one of these:
          I actually made something similar but it doesn't work that well. I mean the one I made was just a cardboard box with one side cut off

Comment

How about:

I thought this was going to be about someone being better looking when viewed on a laptop.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Being in a shed is just being inside again. You could find somewhere in the shade but typically in the UK climate, you need to be in the sun for it to be worthwhile working outside!

Comment

[QUOTE=sal;2321144]Get yourself one of these:

Ah, the night simulator. More sophisticated than the cardboard version.

Seriously though, I'm surprised there isn't a large eink display available. I'd have one.
                I was WFH this summer ( what there was of it.......)

Comment

e-ink laptop displays are being developed...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...e-ink-monitor/

or one on a kickstarter (ish) like site...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...monitor-13-3#/

an e-ink display could be used in full sunlight... but I am not sure how it wil be in terms usability/cursor ghosting/response

Comment

Working...
                  X